What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea clumping nature

I've noticed that sarracenia purpurea grows from the middle of the plant this has led me to contemplate why others have clumps of purpureas do they have stolons or are they actually supposed to grow from the side ive never had one before so im clueless

I'm pretty sure they grow from stolons, which ends up looking like clumping. If you just wait yours will clump too.

Sarracenia do not produce stolons (that's a pretty Darlingtonia-specific trait). S. purpurea, like other species, will eventually produce new growth crowns along the sides or older parts of the rhizome, and due to its denser growth habit like S. psittacina this makes for multiple crowns in very close proximity and thereby a very dense, clumping-style growth habit.

Sarracenia do not produce stolons (that's a pretty Darlingtonia-specific trait). S. purpurea, like other species, will eventually produce new growth crowns along the sides or older parts of the rhizome, and due to its denser growth habit like S. psittacina this makes for multiple crowns in very close proximity and thereby a very dense, clumping-style growth habit.
Ah, you're right--I didn't realize there was a difference between stolons and rhizomes. Sarracenia does produce rhizomes, though, I think.

Yeah, all sarrs grow up from a rhizome. Over time this creeps along and creates new growths along its length, creating clumps of a plant.

S. purpurea and psittacina grow rather differently from the other species however; they don't have "creeping" or horizontal rhizomes, but far denser erect growth generally and new crowns forming often even between active leaf axils. Until they are very large, established plants they don't have much rhizome length.

Back