What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Photos 2007!!

I'd say the first one was rubricorpora, perhaps with some cuprea in the mix. Second ones looks like it might have some oreophila in it, as well as purpurea.

Last one looks like S.x harperi going by the hint of red in the throat.

A was purchased as flava "Copper Top" from Courting Frogs Nursery in 2001/2002.
B and C are complex crosses I purchased from California Carnivores in 2000/2001/2002 as 2 yr old plants. The tags were lost or misplaced when I moved cross country to Louisiana from Washington state. (Yes, I looked like the Beverly Hillbillies with a top rack on my Jepp full of sarrs and other CPs - that was the only reason the moving van did not take the car for me!!)

I have 3 of the remaining tags:
x wrigleyana x leuco
(purp x leuco) x (x excellens)
(x swaniana) x (x popei) MAYBE B?
If you think any of these match the above please let me know. If you have pics of any of the 3 please post for me

Thanks!

Last edited:
With complex crosses, you can get all sort of segregation of characteristics. That is, if you cross a particular S. flava with S. leucophylla,the resulting offspring will differ but be fairly similar. However, once you are crossing hybrids, you can get all sorts of variability depending on the parents involved. You could have a short, squat purpurea looking plant that is a full sibling to a tall leuco-looking plant.
Same thing with dogs. Shelters have a tendency to list all big, black dogs as "lab mixes". IF you have two mutts of unknown ancestry, every puppy can look completely different.
Part of the fun of growing your own Sarracenia from seed!!

Thanks Woodnative, I was afraid of that. But, realizing that, I am hoping that some one else out there might have the same crosses from D'Amato and be able to share pics or simply help deduce which may be which.

(I added the crosses after you potsed, Woodnative)

Here are a few shots of some stuff thats finally photo worthy from my collection.

Firest up is S. alata "Black" x "Judith Hindle"

Next up is S. mooreii x purpurea

A nice wide shot of S. leucophylla "Red"

S. flava "Rugelli" grown from seed (2003) Coloration is light this season as is true with most of my Sarracenia this year.

A wide shot of S. x "Judith Hindle"

Finally a nice shot of 2 different S. x Catesbei plants, the one on the right is from Baghdad Bog FL. The other is from an unknown location.

is 'Dana's Delight' the same thing as leucophylla red? how is that 'Dixie Lace' i sent you? mine... didnt survive the winter. but your leuco red is growing and has several pitchers starting. this weird thing is happening to 3 of my sarrs. ill have to post a question about it.

Alex

These next 4 show the last mistake of this fly.. awwww :jester:
Edit: Thats a Hurricane Creek White that is about to get that tasty treat.

S. minor Wayne Co FL

These next 3 are S. leucophylla "Purple Lips" Finally showing some good color

And finally, S flava "CopperTop" again suffering the same lack of coloration that the majority of my Sarracenia are exhibiting this season.

Hope you enjoyed,
Steve

is 'Dana's Delight' the same thing as leucophylla red? how is that 'Dixie Lace' i sent you? mine... didnt survive the winter. but your leuco red is growing and has several pitchers starting. this weird thing is happening to 3 of my sarrs. ill have to post a question about it.

Alex

Alex,

The "Dixie Lace" I believe is a goner :( I havent messed with it since I got it, but I am not holding out much hope for this one.

Dana's Delight is not the same as leuco red. I do not recall the parentage of Dana's Delight off the top of my head, but I do know its different from leuco red.

Cheers
Steve

As I recall "Dana's Delight" is a complex cross of S. leucophylla, S. psitticina, and S. purpurea. I don't think the exact parentage has ever been published. The psitticina and purpurea account for the longevity of the pitcher leaves.

Alex,

The "Dixie Lace" I believe is a goner :( I havent messed with it since I got it, but I am not holding out much hope for this one.

Dana's Delight is not the same as leuco red. I do not recall the parentage of Dana's Delight off the top of my head, but I do know its different from leuco red.

Cheers
Steve

very sorry :( thanks on the info though. how big do the pitchers get on the leuco red?

The hunk I sent you should yield 12"-24" pitchers easy.

Some pics of my Flavas, acquired via trade over the winter.
Flava2-1.jpg

Flava1.jpg

my Sarracenia collection is pretty thin, but here is one that you don't normally see or hear much about..

S. "Hummer's Okee Classic"
okee_classic.jpg

S. catesbei - so far my only open pitcher.
IMG_1072.jpg

Alex

One of my purps! Nice hair!

Purpea2007_a.jpg

Purpea2007best.jpg

oreoxwill704.jpg

oreophila x willisii

mutt1704.jpg

a mutt

monstercitron704.jpg

'monster mash' x 'citronelli'

lamentationsxflavared704.jpg