What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia lights

• Thread starter nofeap
  • Start date
Greetings all,

I have recently purchased some carnivorous plants for my lab at a university. The collection so far includes S. purpurea venosa, S. leucophylla, Drosera spatulata, Nepenthes ventricosa, and an unknown VFT. The eventual goal is to construct a better indoor grow space and then sometime in the furture, try to find funding for a greenhouse on campus.

I have a question about lighting for the Sars. Currently the Sars are under a 36w sansi led bulb. The S. leuco. is about 10" from the light and the S. purpurea is around 16". The bulb is on a timer set for 14 hours a day. My lab has no natural light and I’m afraid the one sansi 36w light is not enough, do any of you have experience with these lights? I have a collection of succulents under the light and they seem to love it. The nepenthes/VFT have also done well for a few months now. I am considering purchasing another bulb for expanded coverage, do you think that’s needed?
carnivorous.jpg

Last edited:
All I can do is tell you what I've been using for almost 3 years now and how it has gone for me. I have a 36" long LED light that is 7k, 40w with built in 660nm red LED's as well. My lighting is approximately 18" above my plants and I have been growing nepenthes, butterworts, sundews and a couple of other things. My neps and butterworts have done very well, and most of my sundews have done well but I did lose a couple but I'm not sure I can say it was the lighting honestly as I'm still learning and experimenting. One difference is that my lighting stays on for about 20 - 21 hours per day but mine is designed to simulate sunlight and starts weaker, gets stronger, then weak again before going off for a few hours. The red 660nm lights mixed with the 7k insures that the leaves get what they need as well as the lights that initiates fowering.
All I can say is that I've had beautiful pitchers from the neps with deep colors, nice green leaves, and my butterworts have flowered under this lighting.

Last edited:
Just realized I didn't answer your initial question. Oops! For perspective, my light only covers the size of a 55 gallon aquarium that I have indoors and that is about all the space it can handle (approx 36" wide, 20" deep and 30" tall". LED lighting is strong and works well, but in a limited range/area. Most of the lights you can purchase will tell you how much light you can get at what distance/area. I recommend looking up the info online for your specific model.

Back