What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia leucophylla

Yes but insolation is an important factor in which you have more of.
wink.gif

And the difference is even more notable as we head into fall, the time we're hoping for those big pitchers to grow. Even though the sun still shines for >12 hours now, only a few hours in the middle of the day have the high angle, intense sun the plants crave. The sun angle now is equivalent to early April.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Sep. 05 2003,10:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Light is what NY state gets which isn't very much for Sarracenia's as you and I know!
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think we are going off on a tangent here...besides, I am not sold on the the Light argument - yet.  I lived 1 hour south of where I am now and had the most beautiful Sarracenias around, except for leucophylla.

I don't buy that light is a factor in producing the large fall crop of pitchers.  I think it certainly is a factor in producing coloration, but not in producing pitchers.  Just look at the immature pitchers that Nepenthes Gracilis showed us in his/her pictures:  they have already begun to produce the large fall pitchers.

Nepenthes Gracilis: You did not tell us how wet you grow your plants in the summer.  I am starting to think that S. leucophylla needs to be wet during the summer growing season in order for it to produce the nice pitchers.  

Any additional thoughts??

Hey Utric man, BTW I'm a man. Anyhow yes I belive this species loves to be wet myself. I got beautiful fall pitchers, and it looks like they are coming up again this year to put on a show I am hoping. I am repotting it to a shallower pot sometime I think, but I built a large capacity water tray in the greenhouse in which the water cna become quite deep, so far so good we shall se how the pitchers come up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Sep. 09 2003,10:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...but I built a large capacity water tray in the greenhouse in which the water cna become quite deep, so far so good we shall se how the pitchers come up.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
So, I am confused, do you grow your plants outside or in a greenhouse? Greenhouse conditions are quite different from outdoor conditions...

They are in a greenhouse at the moment, this year the chipmunks were driving me nuts with digging and such so they are in the greenhouse for this year's end.

Back