What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia identification quiz #3

Here's the second new quiz. Sorry for the blurry pictures, but it was quite dark today.

The plant is about 6 cm/2.75 inches in height.

S.MysteryPlantB1.jpg

S.MysteryPlantB2.jpg

S.MysteryPlantB3.jpg

S.MysteryPlantB4.jpg

What is the species of this plant?

looks kinda like a oreophila x flava red tube yellow lid,
Kevin
confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wow.gif

I'm going to guess leucophylla x rubra gulfensis, since I have one that is young like this one and looks about identical.

FlavaxRubra?

Don't know what it is, but I don't think its a leuco x rubra g.
I have one and it looks nothing like this one. The lid looks like it may have minor in it.

Hi guys,
It is either alata or rubra gulfensis/wherryi or jonesii. There is no way of telling until the plants are maturing, but judging by the quantity of pitchers more likely rubra subsp.gulfensis, but there again could be heavily veined red tubed alata. Too early to make the distinction!
Reasons are slight buldge below peristome. Hybrid? unlikely as our friend has indicated it is a species!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hybrid? unlikely as our friend has indicated it is a species![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Very true indeed! I'll post the answer in a few days.

This plant is a S. jonesii. Mike King had the closest guess (or multiple guesses). That's okay, I like it when people go thru their thinking process.

Hi Emesis,
Trying to tell apart rubra subsp. seedlings is almost impossible. Their morphological differences are only really possible when the plants are flowering size. It is a bit like trying to tell whether or not one has the yellow flowered form of rubra wherryi and posting a picture of the plant without the flower! The fact that some seedlings are so alike.. Even S. alata was even thought of as a yellow flowered variant of s. rubra subsp. jonesii! I would love to invite you to England to see my collection, hide all the labels and get you to name them! That would be some fun!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Only j/k!

In short, with seedlings it is too tricky to even hope to name accurately, better would be to use mature plants, though the guessing game was fun!

Mike King,

I wish my plants were bigger, so it would make the identification task easier. I don't have the patience to wait a few more years until the plants where mature enough to be identified easier.

Thanks for the Sarracenia identification quiz offer, but I don't know the plants half as well as you do. Until then, I'll keep brushing up my skills. Cheers!

Back