What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia identification assistance please

Hi,

I recently purchased one of pft.com's Sarracenia gardens, which is supposed to include a leucophylla, a wrigleyana, and a Judith Hindle. I can't quite tell which one of the plants is a Judith Hindle, however, as they don't quite look like the ones I see in pictures (I'm sure they look different when they're younger). Here's the pic:

sarracenia01-small.jpg

Anyone see a Judith Hindle? Sorry if it's obvious, this is my first time growing a non-purpurea sarracenia. Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I can say with confidence that the one with the white and red veining / window look to it, has leucophylla in it.

Perhaps you have 2 different kinds of plants in there?

There are indeed two (or more) species of Sarracenia in that pot. The upright one, as decribed by Jim, has the lookings of 'Judith Hindle' to me. They start with a good amount of white, but as they age, the red from the venation seems to spill out and eventually the plant turns a deep red to burgundy. Strong light will help his process along, mine eventually turn completely red (not just the hood area.)

Hmm, I always thought the white one with the heavy red veining was the leucophylla. Here are a couple of closer-up pictures of those pitechers for identification.

leucophylla02s.jpg

leucophylla04s.jpg

So does it look like there are only two types in there? There should be three... I guess I won't know for sure until I repot this winter. Thanks for the help!

The second picture is a classic leucophylla. The top picture, with the red, may be your Judith Hindle. Judith Hindle is a cultivar, not a separate species, and probably contains leucophylla parentage, similar to a 'Dana's Delight' or a 'Tarnok'. The other plant, from the original pic, also looks like a cultivar, and also has leucophylla fenestrations (windows). It also has that overbite look of a S. minor to it or another cultivar called a psittacina. That might be your 'Wrigleyana', but I'm not sure.

Where are the REAL ID experts?

I can't see any Judith Hindle pitchers in your photo. The white plant is leucophylla and the beaked one is wriglyana.

Are there two or three plants in there?

I second Alvin - i only see leuco and wrigleyana.

There are supposed to be 3. pft.com describes the set as a leucophylla, wrigleyana, and Judith Hindle. Should the difference between a young leucophylla and a young Judith Hindle be very obvious?

I guess I'll shoot them an email and get their opinion.

The Judith Hindles will be out of tissue culture and to all intents and purposes, mature. The pitchers look different from leucophylla as they have more red and larger hoods:

Hindle.jpg

If you have only 2 plants in your pot, send PFT an email. I'm sure it's just an oversight.

woops

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lee1dew @ Oct. 30 2005,10:49)]There are supposed to be 3. pft.com describes the set as a leucophylla, wrigleyana, and Judith Hindle.
It should be easy to simply count the crowns (growth points) of the individual plants. Do you count 3? If so, take a photo of the pitcher of each.

S. x wrigleyana is easy (it is the beaked one). Then the other 2 are the ones you need to separate into S. leucophylla and S. 'Judith Hindle'.

For more photos of these, see
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Sarracenia.html

So it looks like Judith Hindles weren't available when they made the set, so they substituted a leucophylla for it. I was hoping for more variety, but having two leucophylla is not so bad. It just means one more plant to buy next season...
smile_m_32.gif

BTW, they replied to my email very quickly and professionally. Their customer service is definitely top notch.

Back