What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID

First picture, Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana
Second picture Sarracenia x readii (leucophylla x rubra)

I thought that purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana had more of a "folded" hood?

Awesome plants. The following is for clarity's sake, I hope it helps:

The first plant is merely a variety not a hybrid
(one of the most desirable varieties of S. purpurea I might add, your plant looks great BTW, it's unique because it is a mountain variety - hence montana) as denoted by the "var.", "ssp." stands for subspecies.

Example format: Genus species ssp. type var. type - (Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana)

Only the second one is a hybrid as symbolized by the "x" in the name, this literally means it's a cross.

Example format: Genus x hybrid name or Genus mother (seed producing plant) x father (pollen donor) -
(Sarracenia x readii or Sarracenia leucophylla x rubra)

I hope that was helpful, you can use this to identify most CPs on plant labels, in your growlist or when trading etc. . .

Be careful in your labeling...
I do not agree that the first plant is a Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. montana
in fact i do not believe it is a pure purpurea at all... were it a venosa of any kind, or a pure purpurea, you could expect the hood to be ruffled,
in purp montana the ruffles often touch each other...
here is my purpurea subsp. venosa var. montana as an example

June2011194.jpg

the lid is far too flat, and pitchers far too straight to be a pure purpurea....
i suspect a complex xCatesbaei hybrid... possibly purpurea x (purpurea x flava)

better off leaving both labeled as "Sarracenia hybrid" than having any more taxonomic confusion and mislabeled plants in cultivation... there is enough of those floating around as it is....

However on the second plant, if I were to guess what potential hybrid it would be, I would have to agree with Brokken on that one...

for comparison sake, here is a majority of the purp group....

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea
June2011201.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla
June2011197.jpg

Sarracenia rosea A.K.A Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii
June2011192.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa
CPs8-18-09028.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be a unique mutated purpurea, perhaps?

I went on cpphotofinder and looked at pics of purpurea x (purpurea x flava) (what I looked at was reversed, but similar) and the plants didn't look like his very much at all.

Haha ok, Thanks everyone!

I knew somehow my foster dad bought hybrids. Thats his plants.

Back