What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID

This is my friend's Sarracenia. What could it be? At least let me know what Sarracenia hybrid. Thanks.
P8080032.jpg

P8080034.jpg

alata x leucophylla?

It looks like it has areoles, but they're VERY faint. I wouldn't think it'd be an F1 cross between alata and leucophylla. It may be crossed with something else as well or backcrossed with alata? It's hard to say. Do you know what the flowers look like?

It could be just about anything. There is definitely some leucophylla in there. Other possible contributors are purpurea and alata. A more mature pitcher would help and blooms would as well (if any yellow flowered species contributed to it there is a good chance the bloom will show that.)

Any indication of yellow at all?

For example

leucophyllaunknownstockbloom0501081.jpg

vs.

P4290037.jpg

Notice that both are "red" flowered but the latter has a distinct hint of yellow giving it an orange-pink cast

Look more like the second one. But cannot confirm. May be next time take photo. Anyway I am going to label as S. leucophylla hybrid for the fair tomorrow.

Yes, leucophylla hybrid is probably best for time being

I see S. purpurea venosa in it. I also see leucophylla and alata. I'll check pic to see if anything matches it.

No, couldn't find anything of the sort, but I found out that S. purpurea makes a nice cross with leucophylla.

alavaxmitchelliana.gif

It looks a lot like this, in terms of pitcher characteristic and shape, and lid shape with the non-ruffles. This plant is (alata x flava) x (leucophylla x purpurea)
It looks a bit different, but bearing in mind pollen and seed crosses have significant variation, is it not possible that the leucophylla or pururea came out more strongly then the other two, producing more green and more veining?
Otherwise, it could be a cross between this and leucophylla again, which might give more green?

Back