What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID Help

I just got 5  Sarracenias from a store that were just labeled as misc. hybrids. They were kind of dry and not in the best shape, so I figured I'd try to save them.  Anyway, I think I know what they, except for a couple, but am hoping someone has a better idea than me.

sarra1.jpg

#1: I think it's a leucophylla x flava

sarra2a.jpg

#2: Sorry for the bad pic.  It's hard to see, but there are a few white spots around the mouth.  I'm guessing flava x (leucophylla x purpurea).

sarra3.jpg

#3: I really don't have a good guess here.  flava x something

sarra4.jpg

#4: flava x rubra is my guess

sarra5.jpg

#5: leucophylla x either rubra or alata is my guess

Hi Sarracenia,
With photo 1, I agree
With 2, sometimes alata has areolations that can cause this, but without seeing the flower and the plant through the season, its hard to say.
With 3, yes its got flava in it, but it has a very wavy lid and I can't see the crown to look at the lower part of the pitcher and of course, no flower yet!
With 4, it could be oreophila in the cross, because of no frontal spout. Winter phylodia and flower colour could confirm the parentage.
Last one could be flava or alata. With alata as 1 parent , usually a 2nd crop of pitchers in the fall could confirm that, but if only Spring pitchers, likely it is flava then!

Hybrids are sometimes very tough to see what parentage is in them!!
confused.gif

I might agree with sarracenia on #5 though. By the way, whivh store did you get those from?

I got them from some "ma and pa" store. Don't know where they got them from. They were not very talkative.

How can you identify oreos from the pitcher base?

Back