What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some of my sarracenia are not doing so hot, and most of the ones not doing great are from one nursery which is not as widely advertised but I did hear they had nice plants and there was a sticker on the box saying the nursery had been inspected and found free of dangerous plant pests/diseases etc.

I do not think they have any pests but I have found some fuzzy white stuff on my soil that I do not think is mold. The sarracenia are in RO water, the pots are grown on the tray method sitting in water that never gets below a quarter inch and at max half the pots are submerged. They are in peat moss and perlite a 50/50 ratio and they are grown outside in full sunlight, I live in zone 8.

What can I do to make them look nicer?

Click the thumbnails for a larger view.

fuzzy stuff on the soil.

I do have ortho systemic insecticide the thing is how would I spray my sarracenia and will it kill sphagnum and cause media to decompose?

But the same thing is some of the sarracenia growing right next to the other ones are doing great, for example my S. catesbei and oreophila.

My flytraps also are doing great.
Typical

B52

if the rhizome is still firm and there is still green down there. then its still good and alive. if not. its dead. some die and some dont. its kind of a toss up. i had some die and some that didnt this winter.

Alex

One person, I thought more people would help!

I would re pot them all (the ones that arnt looking so good) while re-potting, give them a good health check, feeling the rhizome for soft parts, and remove any dead leaves.

You might want to think about changing your mix to 60:40 (Peat:perlite) and double check the peat you are using is free of fertilizes.

Its hard to see but make sure that you plant your rhizomes so that the top half of the WHOLE rhizome is above the soil. Some of the plants look to be a little deep and if they are this will cause them to rot.

Hope the above is of some help

I think you're worrying for nothing. Most are looking great and you peat and growing conditions seem fine. The others will perk up in a few weeks.

If the ones that are still asleep are all from the same nursery, it must be down to the plants.

Just be patient - they will be fine. It's not uncommon to receive tatty looking plants that may have been recently divided.

I think you're worrying for nothing. Most are looking great and you peat and growing conditions seem fine. The others will perk up in a few weeks.

If the ones that are still asleep are all from the same nursery, it must be down to the plants.

Just be patient - they will be fine. It's not uncommon to receive tatty looking plants that may have been recently divided.

I got them about a month ago.

I would re pot them all (the ones that arnt looking so good) while re-potting, give them a good health check, feeling the rhizome for soft parts, and remove any dead leaves.

You might want to think about changing your mix to 60:40 (Peat:perlite) and double check the peat you are using is free of fertilizes.

Its hard to see but make sure that you plant your rhizomes so that the top half of the WHOLE rhizome is above the soil. Some of the plants look to be a little deep and if they are this will cause them to rot.

Hope the above is of some help

yeah it was, the crowns of the plants are above the soil, the crown is the top half of the rhizome right?
The peat moss/perlite I use is the same stuff that oreophila and S. catesbei is growing in as well as all my flytraps and sundews.

I got them about a month ago.

Ok. I bet they'll look fine in 6 or 8 weeks.
They'll go at their own pace.

Back