What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice pics and I'd definitly agree with Alvin , looks like an S. x catesbaei . Can't wait til my planst flower , the stalk on my S. oreophila keeps getting taller and my S. rubra ssp jonesii made 4 buds too so i hope it flweors soon and my favorite hybrid S. x excellens id making a bud too . Can't wait
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nice pics and I'd definitly agree with Alvin , looks like an S. x catesbaei . Can't wait til my planst flower , the stalk on my S. oreophila keeps getting taller and my S. rubra ssp jonesii made 4 buds too so i hope it flweors soon and my favorite hybrid S. x excellens id making a bud too . Can't wait

Yeah, you can get loads of flowers on S. rubra. I have a ssp. wherryi yellow flower also with four buds. I'm also looking forward to a flower on my S. alata white flower, it has a bud at the moment. Nothing else has flower buds, but that should change by the end of the month
smile.gif

My tarnok has one that is getting ready to open, wrigleyana(sp), 'Judith Hindle', and a Nigra-purple Alata flower bud. And since my venosa has flowered for the past two years in a row, I am assuming it is gonna flower.

Phew, thanks for all the info, I was so anixous to get more info on my flower, which has already been open for about three weeks (The flower itself opened in about a day!) Is it normal for a sarracenia flower to open that fast and when will the flower start to wither (and when successfully pollinated, how long will the seed pod take to swell and dry up?

Wow, three people (knowledgable I should say) have said that my sarracenia is a S x catesbaei! And I've never even heard that name before...
biggrin.gif

Hmmm...there already seems to be pollen on the place that you said I should put it, Alexis. Maybe the ants put it there, I saw some crawling around the flower a few days back. At first I wanted to feed them to the sarracenia itself, but I then thought natural pollination by means of insects would be good for the plant (and also it would be ridiculously ironical for the ants to be eaten by the same plant that they are trying to pollinate) The ants wouldn't do any harm to the my plants, will they? (otherwise it's war
tounge.gif
) Can anyone explain their behaviour?

Ok, I'm out of breath (and typing energy), so I'll stop asking questions now. (before you all go crazy)
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Tired...arms aching...going to bed...DREAMING ABOUT SARRACENIA!
tounge.gif

Phew!

Thanks,
Jason  

(ps. pollen is the yellow, grainy stuff, right?) Is it supposed to be sticky? The stamens (anthers and and all) fell out around the second week the flower opened? Is this abnormal? I collected the stamens and stored them in the fridge, is this the right way and should even be collecting the fallen stamens (I found one petal floating about in my mother's pond below with three stamens attached to it! And what about the...zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZ

What about when your sarracenia is a cross between two species, like flava and purpurea in my case (S. x catebaei) (I just found out in my topic, see "sarracenia flowering-my first flower") See

My Webpage

Sorry bout the long URL!

Currently I don't have a favourite sarracenia. (Yet) I don't really want to have a favourite sarracenia, want to treat them all the same, fairly with the same mutual respect they deserve
tounge.gif
(I know its wierd, but I don't want to have favourtism (or sarraceniatism)
tounge.gif

Well, if you insist, my favourite sarracenia is S. x catebaei, for two reason,
1. because the name sounds cool, and
2. Because that's the only one I have!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Jason

Ok that was a mistake...could someone direct it tohere?
(Favourite sarracenia)

Thanks,
Jason

The flowers also produce nectar and so the ants would have been feeding on this. Bumble bees are the usual pollinators, but ants could do the same in theory, although there is a high chance they would self pollinate a flower.

If there is pollen on the stigmas then it has probably been pollinated. In 4 or 5 months time the seed capsule will turn brown and split, releasing any seed.

Jason,
Nice pics! Looks very healthy.

Anyone: How soon after a sar wakes up will they (in general) produce the flower scape? Mine are just waking up, and I'm anxious to see if I can get them to bloom this year.

I just took mine out, and they sent up a few scraggly leaves (the always unimpressive spring-crop) and then the flowers. It took about a week. So far My purpurea and rubra are the only two that are flowering.

Cole

Won't the seed pod swell first? How do I anticipate when the seed pod will split and release seed? Or should I just wrap a plastic bag around the flower/seed pod to catch any flying seed...
tounge.gif

Thanks for all the info and encouragement!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Jason

Back