What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flower questions

Hi all

First time posting here for a while, will post some pictures soon..

I have a collection of sarracenia which are all starting to flower nicely now - one of my favourites ( x. melanarhoda) is pushing up 3 juicy flowers, but no pitcher action yet.

I am wondering if it is worth clipping of a flower or two on plants that are doing this to allow pitchers to grow more quickly - I understand that flowering significantly drains the resources of Venus flytraps, but not so much with sarrs... do I really need multiple flowers?

Also, I've read that its not advisable to spray Sarracenia's when in flower.. but do they really need spraying that often otherwise?

Any advice much appreciated

Ciaow

Hi

Most sarracenias are fine to flower, so there's no need to clip them off. The exception to this seems to be S. leucophylla though - some people (including me) find that they produce less pitchers when they go on a flowering spree. Otherwise, I would let them bloom. They're an impressive sight.

Sarracenias do not need spraying at any time, so I don't know where you read that
smile.gif

Thought as much, its just that the melanorhoda (spelled correct?) seemed to take off much quicker last season when it did not flower.

Another question while there's an expert about: sometimes my s flava grows deformed pitchers that seem to curl back, often creating a spiral.. have you ever come across this before? At first I thought it might be something to do with humidity, but then started to think that they were just leaves that weren't sure whether to be phylodia or pitchers!

The plant knows what it is doing. Either they are early phyllodes (sometimes they do this) or, check for aphid infestation. No aphids= phyllodes. They do occur sometimes in early spring. Increase light, and put them out to develop, and see what happens.

Let the Sarrs flower. They will not grow new pitchers until after the flower dies so cutting them will not make the plant grow faster. Maybe a couple new pitchers but what would you rather have a couple pitchers or a flower then seed to donate to the ICPS. (Or I guess you could trade it).

What's the ICPS (Int'l CP Society?)

I'd be happy to donate seeds anyway - it's a fine specimen:

here's a pic of it early last season after I put it in the greenhouse - had a slow start on unsuitable windowsills, but still lookin Kinda nice I think
smilie4.gif

Sorry 56k users!

mela500.jpg

Back