What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia cv. 'lochness'

Hi folks,

for ages I've been trying to hunt down Slack's original cultivar Sarracenia 'Lochness'. Is there anybody out there who grows it?

I know that there are quite a few plants floating around under the name 'Loch Ness' or 'Lochness' -- but all of them seem to be yellow-flowered. Slack's original plant has red flowers.

From the CP database
http://www.omnisterra.com/foo/cp_home.cgi?name=lochness&search=all

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I first made this cross ([[Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}] * [Sarracenia minor {Walt.}]]) in 1963 and selected the best seedling with brilliant red petals, calling it S. * ' Lochness ', a name which had to be scrapped when I learned that the cross was already known, named, and occurs in the wild. But since I have seen no other clone of this hybrid, or indeed of any other with such petals, I now this cultivar as [Sarracenia ' Lochness ' {Hort.Slack}]. The concave hood projects almost horizontally forward, and this, together with the entire upper pitcher, is richly variegated with white ' windows ' (no cultivar epithet but here a circumscription of areolae) and delicately pencilled with red veins. The flowers are normally any shade from pinkish mahogany to mahogany red.
Standard: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:82 (1986)
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm beginning to fear that this apparently fabulous cultivar is lost. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Marcus

Funny you bring this up. I have been looking for the same plant, and myself, have found no sign of it. I hope someone out there knows of it.
Kevin

Back