What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia bogs in or near Jacksonville, Florida?

Well, in late June, i will be paying a visit to my father in Jacksonville, FL. i recall seeing some sarras there when i was younger, im sure many of the bogs have been developed over, but was wondering if anyone knew any locations where i may be able to see some sarras? i will obviously go on a hunt for bogs myself, since i know there is pleanty just south in Palatka and Gainesville. Any info would help :)
If you know of any bogs which contain Drosera or Pinguicula but NOT sarracenia, list those too please since id love to see some other CPs in situ
Thanks for the help
~Kris

Same here. I'll probably be moving to Jacksonville for college this fall (or next Spring), and I would love to go see some carnivorous plants in their habitat there because of the variety.

For good reason, many folks with this knowledge will be reluctant to post specific details. While they may (or may not) know you well enough to trust you with the info, there are plenty of poachers who monitor these (& other) public forums specifically for juicy tidbits like you are requesting.

In the 80's I was fortunate to have a frequent CPN contributor take me to many sites in FL, AL, & MS. He also greatly enjoyed telling me a number of 'tales'. Some of these stories were about a famous nursery owner (& author) who would come down & literally dig up every plant in a stand - really amazing. :0o:

i guess i will have to hunt for the bogs myself then RL, its not like im going to dig up sarras and drag them all back to Washington State, since im someone is into conservation like many of the others.

Kris, why don't you try asking for a pm with any info? That way any locations won't be visible to the public.

RL, are you saying this famous nursery owner & author (who owns a nursery in California I'm guessing) poached plants?

RL, are you saying this famous nursery owner & author (who owns a nursery in California I'm guessing) poached plants?

Oh o.............oooooooooooooooo

Ken

I believe Ron is talking about Peter Paul, not Peter D'Amato in California.

Who is Peter Paul? What book did he write?

Actually Peter Paul was the name of the nursery, I just remembered his name is actually James Pietropaolo and he wrote the book Carnivorous Plants of the World.

Actually Peter Paul was the name of the nursery, I just remembered his name is actually James Pietropaolo and he wrote the book Carnivorous Plants of the World.

Yeah, I bought that book like 8-9 years ago when I first got into carnivorous plants. However, I couldn't find his nursery located on the internet anymore. I did some research and found out that the owners of the nursery were paying people to go to wetlands and poach carnivorous plants. Their store has since been shut down.

i guess i will have to hunt for the bogs myself then RL, its not like im going to dig up sarras and drag them all back to Washington State, since im someone is into conservation like many of the others.
Sir K,
My comment was never aimed at you specifically. Even if you were a poacher, the likelihood of you individually being able to deplete a significant stand and bring all those plants back to WA is unlikely. However, the unintended consequences of your request goes significantly beyond you. It takes just 2 naive folks to doom a small stand of rare plants (one to make the request & another to respond). I doubt that there's much debate that new construction, fire suppression & tree farms overall probably doom more plants than collectors ever could. However, with small unique stands - collectors / poachers can have a real impact. There are numerous examples of small populations of rare plants, insects, herps, etc. being destroyed by overzealous collectors. For example: the last known colony of Regal Fritillary east of PA was destroyed by butterfly collectors. Barry has documented poacher's holes in his travelogues as well as the theft of all seedpods of a rare & small population of s. purpurea ssp venosa var montana.

My intent was not to stop you from soliciting locations from folks who have reason to trust you but rather just to keep this information from being published in a public forum. Even years from now, a collector could do a search & find the information - long after your visit was just a distant memory ....

Any site with location data published here will be deleted. As Ron said keep all site locations in private PM's.

Thank you

Well, if anyone who knows any location info, please PM it to me obviously, as i would like to prevent any poaching that could come from that...man that would be a heavy weight on my shoulders

Back