What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had a perfectly good S. rubra that was either alabamensis or wherryi (I am not sure). It was fine when I bought it. I put it in the bog and it was wilty (like most plants grown inside). In a few days it sent up some new pitchers as expected for spring growth (IT was not really happy at the BG). But the picthers had to lids or openings. Then they started to grow weird. I did check this plant for fertilizer first and washed the medium out so it should be okay. A few days ago I notice most of the bases of the pitchers are brown. I think oh.... Than take the plant and cut away most of the dead rhizome except the part that may have been dead but had lots of live roots. Now the plant had about 7 roots about 2 nches long and one leaf/mangled pitcher. So what do you think caused this? The only reason I say virus is no bug pests were seen or had left evidence.

That has happened to most of my droseras and some dionaea's... I'm clueless as well

Root rot. I suggest you go to the store (PetFlyTrap) and invest in Cleery 3336WP and Ban Rot and help yourselves out. BanRot is very good against molds and damping off fungus', and Cleery is a must for CP. Do yourselves a favor.

fungus in the rhizome..
not much you can do except try to cut away the mushy brown bits of the rhizome (the parts that are dead/dying because of the fungus) and leave just white healthy rhizome..replant that and hope for the best.
a co-worker of mine just lost once of his two ICPS alabamensis to that!
smile_h_32.gif

here is a thread about it.
we tried to cut away all the brown mushy rhizome, but the plant still didnt make it.

<a href="http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8854" target="_blank">

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8854[/url]

Scot

Does the fungus live in the soil? I doubt the one plant root rotted b/c it was in a bog along with a bunch of other plants.

Tre, I had a lot of sarrs in one tub, and out of all the plants in the tub, wouldn't ya know it, the only plant to rot, was a favorite! What exactly causes the root rot, I am not sure of, but it doesn't always affect all the plants. Now, CLEERY 3336WP, and BANROT, as fast as you can get it!!!!!

Back