What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seedlings; when to uncover

Thanks everyone.

@Fred P. : WOW, those are looking good! Did you mist the seedlings (prior to taking that photo)?

Yes, I did just water them before I snapped the photo.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

hey fred i was wondering what your watering technique is. Also how do you go about hardening them off when you move them outside.

I simply water/mist them once a day with RO water. They are not standing in water because I believe watering them daily and letting it drain off allows more oxygen to the roots. As far as hardening them off, I really don't. When it's sunny outside and higher than 62 degrees, I just set them out on the patio in direct sun but the tray has to have enough water in it at that point so they don't run the risk of drying out. It hasn't been too warm or sunny here lately so they've just been under lights 24/7. It's supposed to be sunny and 72 this weekend though so they will be going outside.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I only had one complete failure and that was AH14 (in the middle/left of the 3rd photo). This was an ((Alata x Leuco) x Flava rubricorpora) x 'Cobra Nest'. Not sure why but not even a single seed germinated. That was one out of 60+ crosses. It happens sometimes.

I also used a packet of Pyro's seed this year, although I started a lot later than the rest of you. At last count, I have 18 seedlings that have germinated--more seem to pop up every time I count. I'm very close to a 50% germination rate. In some respects, I feel like I'm being overrun by Triffids. I have been transplanting them as soon as the first pitcher leaf develops. My problem right now is finding room for all the transplanted seedlings.

-Hermes.

Thanks for the reply. That helps out alot. Hopefully here in Iowa i can get the outside in the next month.

Back