What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seed question

Ok, I now have lots of sarr seeds and am going to plant them in 3 weeks (they're in the fridge right now). Do I place them on top of the soil in direct sunlight, or do I keep them out of direct sunlight, or do cover them with spagnum?

On top for sure. Direct sun would be fine if the natural humidity is high enough. If you put them in a baggie in sun, they will cook.

Joe

I had success by putting them in a plastic container that used to hold pipette tips. I inverted the tip holder so that the 100 holes were facing down. It is essentially a plastic box within a plastic box. I put peat/sand/LFS in the tip holder container and closed the lid. I placed them on a window sill and waited and waited and... Several weeks later, over the span of a few days, they began germinating. I kept it covered until they seemed ready for acclimating to the real world, keeping it opened by day and close at night. Eventually they went outside and were then open tray 24/7.

Wow jimscot! I didn't think of that one, thanks for the heads up...I just may have to try that one someday.

Back