What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr Seed Logetivity

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I have had some sarr seeds in the fridge since July 2007. Would they still work? OR would i have no luck, as they are too old

Worth a shot, but I don't think you will have any luck.

Yeah, me too. Ill try today.

There should still be a quite a few of viable seed if they've been stored dry in the refrigerator. Be sure to cold stratify them for 4-5 weeks before sowing them.

Ooh! good news.

should have no problems whatsoever. they'll last for years.

If they've been stored in the fridge... shouldn't that be like a really long stratification?

If they've been stored in the fridge... shouldn't that be like a really long stratification?

No. They should be stored dry, and stratification is wet.

xvart.

Yes, it is my understanding that seeds that require cold stratification contain a substance that inhibits germination. Cold and damp conditions of enough duration break this substance down so that when conditions are favorable the seeds can germinate.

Should work fine. You won't get as many as if it had been the previous year's crop, but there should be enough to make it worth the effort at least. I still have some seeds from 06. I need to make a space for germinating...
~Joe

Hmmm, i planted like 100 mixed sarr seeds that had been harvested in '07, and i only got 4 sprouts :p

Was that this year? It's still cold up in your area - you'll probably see more come up as the weather warms.
~Joe

Back