What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr flower question

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I was inspecting the last of my remaining Sarr flowers to see if I was successful at pollonating it (not sure what I was actually looking for this being my first time pollonating a Sarr.) Up on inspection I noticed that the ovary now lokks to have many small bumps. Not wanting to cause any damage I didn't poke or prod so I can't say whether the bumps are on the outside or 'underneath' the 'skin.' Is it possible that these bumps are indicative of developing seeds?

Pyro

Hi Pyro,
No it is not a sign yet of developing seed, those bumps are always there, but watch out for the seed pod to gradually swell over the next few months...

Unfortunalty there is no way of telling if the pod contains seed until it ripens. I have had pods wich have split in october and contained no viable seed at all, but if you have tried pollinating the flowers by hand then you are 99% certain to get a large batch at the end of the year as they are very prolific!

How long from flower to seed?

Mike,

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all but the bumps are a recent thing. I know they were not there earlier, I have been keeping a very close eye on this bloom because it is my only survivor and I really want to make sure nothing happens to it.

Richard,

I did pollinate by hand so I am hoping that you are correct
smile.gif

Pyro

Hi Pyro,
The only way to tell would be to look then at the end of the season, lets see what you get. I have been trying to pollinate that pink lipped leuco with a large flava var. rugelii to see what comes out!!

I will look for the bumps myself....

On reflection, a lot of the S.purps I have have bumps on the surface when the flower is in petal, but not so on some flavas... this needs looking into...

Mike,

If more of my Sarr blooms had survived I would have been happy to contribute extra data. Alas...sometimes the gods of CPs are fickle beings.

On another note, if you succeed in your hybridization and aren't planning on using all those pink lueco x rugelii seeds I'd love to take a few off your hands :biggrin:

Pyro

Back