What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saracennia Seedlings

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
How long does it take for saracennia seedlings to reach maturity. I planted a seed last year and luckly the seedling survived its dormancy during the winter. The traps are about 1/2 inches tall and less than a milimeter wide. The species is saracennia flava x purpera x purpera x alata

I think normally they take 5-7 years, but I've read stories of people getting their plants to flower in the third year. I don't remember any details, but I know it involved use of fertilizers and maybe taking away any seasonality. I'm sure someone else here knows more about forcing them than I do. I just don't have the patience to grow them from seed.

Sarracenia seedlings take about 3-7 years to mature. S. Purpurea forms and hybrids are quickest to mature. My S. Purp f heterophylla plants flowered in their 3rd year from seed. Seedlings do however look great in there second year. This is the time when the plants colouration starts to be come evident and all the pots of mini pitcher plants look quite attractive! My two year old S. flava plants have pitchers wich are now 5 inches tall and are showing the adult characteristics of the plant but are just small! If you start a new batch of seeds every year you reach a point where there is always something aproaching maturity!

This is one subject I have a lot of interest in. For years I've tried growing Sarrs from seed. I still have a good number of those seedlings - but they're still really small! I've tried a couple of things the past year that seem to be helping. The biggest help seems to be sowing them in chopped long-fiber spaghnum instead of a peat/sand mix. I've recently transferred some seedlings to the spaghnum and they're much larger and growing faster than the one's I left in the peat/sand. I've also fertilized them with mixed success. I used Miracid 30-10-10 mixed to about 1/3rd strength, brushing it onto the tiny pitchers every 2 or 3 weeks. It seems to help but Miracid is a bit strong and has burned them after a while. If anyone has any good advice I'd like to hear it.

Back