What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sanguinea!!!

I feel like Nepenthes sanguinea is a beautiful and often underrated species. There's tons of variability when it comes to color in this species. I figured it's cool enough to deserve it's own thread. Sanguinea remains one of my favorites regardless of the fact that it was one of my first "beginner" plants. Let's see some of your plants!

If you include some of their natural hybrids, I have 6 different variations. Many people say the plants found in the Genting highlands are so intermingled, that a "pure" species is almost impossible to find. Here are a few of mine:

Most of these first ones probably have at least a little ramispina in them.
This one opened overnight and has yet to color up. I love the bright yellow against the grey/brown
IMG_3900_zpsee86c6d4.jpg

This is a mostly (if not as close to completely as you can get) "pure" form:
IMG_3893_zpsb7a46666.jpg

This one definitely has a good amount of ramispina in it. Perhaps N. sanguinea x (sanguinea x ramispina)
Still needs to darken up:
IMG_3892_zpsdcf8b345.jpg

IMG_3888_zps55dec692.jpg

IMG_3886_zpsd24e966c.jpg

Here's a previous pitcher from the same plant:
photo-1-2_zps23186b4a.jpg

This one looks pretty different than the others. Not sure why exactly, but it's from the same location:
IMG_3187_zps70fbabcf.jpg

Here's a group shot from all the Genting plants as they arrived:
IMG_0480_zpsb4ed8fc1.jpg

And here's my original "pink" clone. Still one of my favorite plants!
IMG_2002_zpsfa80f4ec.jpg

IMG_1382_zps77ff62e5.jpg

I'll update with more later on. I'm also searching for one of the "Blood red" forms if anyone has any leads on one of those. Cheers!

-Greg

Love them! I've got a lot of hybrids w Purple Sanguineas, but no pure species... yet! definitely on my wish list

Photos or it didn't happen!!

This one (which I forgot to post except in the group shot), is about as close to the purple form I have. It's wild collected but I don't really see any difference between this and the one in cultivation:
IMG_0466_zps39478537.jpg

IMG_0521_zps2394eae2.jpg

I'd consider trading it for something if you want to shoot me an offer.

Sanguinea is one of the few species I like enough to have two different forms of. And I have some sort of sanguinea x ramispina mutt. They combine to make a perfect plant.

Such an underrated, under-appreciated species. I have only the "pink" clone that CC was distributing in 2011, and it was the first Nepenthes I bought. I had no idea what I was in for at that point!
Totally craptastic phone snapshot-in-the-dark, but you get an idea:
20131009-193630.jpg

Thanks, Greg, for posting these beauties.

sanguinea was my first cp a present from a friend,mine only has uppers at the moment but a basal has just started to sprout ,not as impressive as some in this post

Last edited:
Sweet! I love uppers on sanguinea, and I can't wait to have a well established plant growing in one of those tomato frames or something. Great looking plants y'all! Keep it up!

Back