What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand

• Thread starter timbudtwo
  • Start date

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
we bought some sand from home depo today and it says "sterilised By Furnace" or somthing along those lines on it. it says its great for using in plants. Would that be a good type to use for cp's?

I suppose it would, unless they added any nutrients to it, in which case there would be more than just SAND on the ingredients. I might even be better, because they might have eliminated all of the nutrients in the sand by sterilizing it. Hope it helped.

Sterilizing sand does not remove nutrient salts, the only way to be sure that you have silica sand is to test it. Put a drop or 2 of vinegar and look closely to see if it fizzes, if not do test 2, place a small amount of sand on some glass, and rub it using hard pressure. If the glass scratches, it contains silica. Note I say "contains", it may also contain other substances detrimental to CP. Silica sand is white, if there are other color grains I advise against using this. If it is white and passes the other tests, it is probably acceptable. Construction supply houses sell "sandblaster's sand" which is pure silica, and swimming pools use silica sand for pool filters. Hope this helps:)

(Edited by Tamlin Dawnstar at 5
wow.gif
2 pm on May 27, 2002)

Back