What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra ssp. wherryi

I found one stand of S. rubra subsp. wherryi in the wild. Is it a miniture like sarr (sorry never had one). The mature pitchers were only 8 inches tall at the most and 2.5 inches wide. Most pitchers were about 5 inches tall. The few flowers that were fully out were only and inch or so across and red. I moved a little dirt away from a rhizome of one (put it back later) to see the rhizome growth and for the inch of two that I would see the rhizome grew almost strait down. Only a few plants had new pitchers the others were all dead. Also in this bog was S. leucophylla, S. psitticneia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. psittacina]</span>, and I found at one hybrid with S. psitticnia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. psittacina]</span> but I am not sure what it was with. I thought the rubra wherryi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. rubra subsp. wherryi]</span> info was interesting because the plant I bought at KBG could have been either alabamansis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. alabamensis]</span> or wherryi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. rubra subsp. wherryi]</span>. But now I think it must be wherryi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. rubra subsp. wherryi]</span> because it was much bigger then the wherryi<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. rubra subsp. wherryi]</span> I saw.

Yes they are very small Pitcher, and flowers alike. I have a 17 yr. ols speciman from bugweed that has 23 flowers on it. It takes MUCH patients to pollinate them. Fourtunately no other flowers are open yet so no chance of cross pollination.

Yep my wherryi are small, very nice plants I might add!
Did you get any eye candy pics for us to enjoy?

-Jc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 01 2005,9:04)]I bought at KBG could have been either alabamansis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected, S. alabamensis]</span>
Pingman, if you want to get technical, and follow the ICPS database, it should be
Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis

Thanks for correting my spelling. Sorry I forgot to do that myself.

I don't know for sure but I think so, I just set up at the Colorado Springs Flower Show with Jeremiah and he had a mature wheryi but it wasnt very tall at all, maybe 5-6"

So they only grow 5-6 inches? Thats about how tall all these were. Then UI wonder what the plants were that were inbetween the leuco and wherryi heights?

We have a wherryi-giant. Pitchers are over a foot tall. We suspect some leucophylla introgression back a few generations.
We posted a picture of it in the 2005 season pictures.

My S. rubra ssp. wheryii typical plant put up pitchers that were 13.5 inches tall last year. I don't know if that is considered minature or not.

My s. rubra ssp. wherryi are as tall as 15". My s. rubra wherryi "Giant form" gets to 24", and the s. rubra ssp. wherryi "Chatom Giant have been known to reach 30" though 26- 28" seem to be the usual. Wherryi is one of those that can really fool you sometimes. Some year it will blow up in your face, and produce 15-18" pitchers. Then shrink down to 12" to 15". I have no idea why it occasionally does this.

Back