What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra ssp. gulfensis

Hi guys!

Is this S. rubra ssp. gulfensis?

Hpim0573.sized.jpg

Hpim0572.sized.jpg

Hpim0594.sized.jpg

Please help me!

Best regards,

Ries

I don't know if it's a gulfensis or not, but it sure looks cool.
smile.gif

I am not sure it is pure-breed

looks like there is some alata in there to me
confused.gif

Maybe it has some other rubra in it.

Since the gulfensis has different leaf variation, as well as color variation, I would suggest looking for the usual gulfensis characteristics. The hood is no help, as the gulfensis has variations there too. The tube is about the only thing you have to look at. Gulfensis tubes do have an alata or jonesii type bulge in it, though not as pronounced. The coloration in yours right, but the sun shining through the hood, and the back of the tube, have a tendency to screw up the look of the plant, making it look like something else. I suggest pictures taken in bright shade to lessen the effects of the shine through the pitcher. It may help us with better identification. A flower is helpful also. I think you have a gulfensis myself, but we need to alleviate the shine off the pitcher.

Thnx Bugweed!!!
I'll make some pitchure's next weekend and post them here...

Ries

Here are some new photo's, taken with flashlight.

Hpim0691.sized.jpg

Hpim0690.sized.jpg

Hpim0689.sized.jpg

Hpim0687.sized.jpg

Hpim0692.sized.jpg

Well, what do you think??
smile_n_32.gif

Best regards,

Ries

I still do not think it is pure

NOW it looks like a gulfensis!
smile.gif

or a ssp. gulfensis x ssp. rubra

But I'm leaning towards gulfensis

I agree with Sunpitcher

Looks gulfensis to me. Any flower?? Note the slight bulge in the upper pitcher? Gulfensis does turn a nice maroon color like yours too. I would really like to see a flower.

Check out the "pictures" thread in the Pitcher Plant section. I just posted a photo of one of my gulfensis that turned a nice dark color over the winter. The photo was taken 3 or 4 days ago.

This plant is the Yellow River Florida plant that came from Bugweed & the charity auction last year.

No charity auction was held, PDX!!! Just an auction. (Our group is not a charity!LOL!) OOOOOOO!!!!!! Beautiful! I would say it likes where it lives! I am commenting on your picture, Jeff!Looks the same here in the late season. I think they are gorgeous! At least Yellow River plants got distributed before the stands were destroyed. Actually seeds, but they are plants now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 25 2005,1:01)]No charity auction was held, PDX!!! Just an auction. (Our group is not a charity!LOL!) OOOOOOO!!!!!! Beautiful! I would say it likes where it lives! I am commenting on your picture, Jeff!Looks the same here in the late season. I think they are gorgeous! At least Yellow River plants got distributed before the stands were destroyed. Actually seeds, but they are plants now.
Sorry
smile.gif
I meant the "great cause, non-profit organization, let's get rolling" plant auction.

I couldn't be happier with the plant.

Thanks guys!!!

Here's a photo of the plant, incl. flowers.
It's taken in april 2004, when I had this plant just a few days...
The pitchers were green...I think it didn't get enough sunlight...but it's better now!!!!!
smile_m_32.gif

Still sure that it's a gulfensis?

Cheers,

Ries

Looks like pure gulfensis to my untrained eye.  

I don't mean to break up a great party-
This was mentioned, "Yellow River plants got distributed before the stands were destroyed"  

What happened in Florida this time?

Back