What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra seedling

Probably about 5 months ago my Sarracnia rubra ssp. jonesii sprouted, and it's been growing like a weed. The longest pitcher reached a little over 1 inch, but in the last month or so it has just stopped growing. I tried to repot it, so it'd get more rootspace, but it still hasn't done anything. Please help me and my plant. Please!

Tony,
I am assuming you are growing these inside under lights. I experience the same thing. When my seedlings get to a certain size they just stop and what I think it is is their internal clocks that switch their growth off after what would be a normal growing season. You did the right thing by repotting and shaking them up a bit to restart them. Wait about a month of so and see if they don't start growing again. I find that this is what happens with mine. Good luck and let us know what happens.

They don't have an unlimited amount of energy at first. They'l be sitting there storing up carbohydrates so they can grow a slightly larger rhizome in order to support more pitchers and survive any adverse conditions such as cold or drought.

Alvin is right on that score. Then, when it gets back to leaf production, you will find that they have growth spurts that they follow for life. Spring growth, another spurt in spring/summer, and the final leaves of fall. Of course, this is different for all plants. Some growth spurts being more of them in a season, in some plants, fewer. Whatever the case, just love that baby!!!

It's "resting" give it a little while. It should be fine.

Ok, thanks everbody. I'll be patient and love it. Saccareniaobsessed the plant is growing in my terrarium in pure LFS, but I might just move it outside in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Back