What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.purpurea

Hello,

I just picked up a  plant from white rose  labelled " cobra plant"  from looking around on the internet I think its is S.purpurea ssp purpurea.  I am some what new to cp's can any one tell me if this plant requires a dormancy period? and does it require high level of humidity? also if I mist it should I try to avoid getting water into the pitchers?

Oh and for any one living in Canada white rose also has just got some Nepenthes in.

Thanks in  advance for your help

Hi seedling,
It does require a dormancy and needs at least about 75-80% humidity to look and grow good. How big is it? If it is small you could skip its dormancy period if you wanted to. But you would need a place to put it like a terrarium with lighting and high humidity. And it wont matter if you get water in the pitchers while misting it I fill my pitchers up about 40% of the way up with water, it will help them not to dry out too.
And you should NEVER fertilize it to avoid burning the roots and killing the plant, just feed it bugs. Also you should only water it with rain water, Reverse Osmosis water, Or distilled water.
Have fun with your plant!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

John

Uuuuuuuum...... Ok, Well.

If it is a purp, and you know that, then its S. purpurea ssp venosa, not purpurea... I got one too, at the beggining of the summer.

You need to fill the pitchers a bit less than halfway full of water.

I'm not sure if its fresh out of TC, but it prolly is, if its not in dormancy right now...

It does not require as high humidity as alot of other CPs do... I grew mine outside all summer long. Higher light levels mean a healtier plant though, keep that in mind. I would grow it with your neps or sumthing right now, unless you wana put it into dormancy pronto... This spring, you can repot if you like, then plop it ouside, and just keep it watered...

Hi seedling, just wanted to add a bit of info. Venosa is the most widely distibuted Purpurea form and is 99% most likely whta you have. Purpurea purpurea on the other hand is quite uncommon to get in TC at a store. You must obtain that plant commecially or from another grower. My Purpurea collection is mostly Purpurea spp. Purpurea as it is a native plant and grows superb for me. And yes give it dormancy this year and it will do great for you next year!
smile.gif

I think I may of cut and pasted the wrong name from the website I had looked on. lol

Thanks for the info guys

Back