What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea ssp. venosa or var. burkei?

I was 99% sure this plant was a plain ssp. venosa until I read this thread identifying CP30's purpurea as a burkei. Now I'm only about 95% sure.

venosa_flower_2.sized.jpg

venosa_flower_1.sized.jpg

The petals are a bit darker than CP30's, but not quite what I'd call "brick red." The style was pale green, and the flower stalk was only about 6" tall max. I still think it's a plain venosa, because other than those things, nothing is out of the ordinary; please feel free to correct me though.

Thanks for the help!

S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. venosa (flower color)

I would say venosa, although the pinkish petals make me think there might be some rosea mixed in I would say pure venosa though

Hey Mike,

Looks to me like you have what you suspected all along: S. purpurea ssp. venosa and NOT the variety burkii that has pink petals. I find that the petals on my plants start out darker and fade gradually with age. Here's one from last year:

spvb.jpg

Back