What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreo

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I just noticed my oreo has a flower bud! Is this unusual? Would it be possible for it to grow this late in the year?

Seems impossible to say what's normal with these guys. I have one oreo that's holding steady, another with the pitchers dying off and still another that has 6 or 8 big new pitchers coming up. I did have a hybrid that started to flower last year late and it never formed much past the "ball" shape. Another group of plants that just came from Australia is flowering now but I assume it's because their seasons are off from ours.

In theory, 'normal' for oreophila would be full phyllodia growth at this time of year. Flowers aren't unusual at this time of year though, I have one on my purpurea. I would let it grow, if you can pollinate it then you might get seeds late autumn. I have some seeds already gathered, stratified and sowed as an experiment - I collected them early, they go into the fridge green and come out brown a few weeks later.

Well it sure would be nice if it flowered but somehow I don't think it will.

Thats cool Alexis...let us know how that goes.
smile.gif

Back