What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla red

You have probably answered this 1000 times, so I apologize in advance.

A while back, I purchased a Sarracenia leucophylla RED from PFT, which the PFT Web page describes as (leucophylla x willisii).

According to the CP Database, S. willisii is [((purpurea*psittacina)*(purpurea*flava))*purpurea].

I have been unable to find a photo of willisii, other than those at
http://www.flytraps.com/newlook....llisii+
and
http://www.collectorscorner.com.au/Carnivo....ll1.jpg
In both of these photos, the plant looks like it has a very strong leucophylla parentage, but leucophylla is not in the database description of willisii.

Now, my question: Could you give me a description of the willisii parent in PFTs S. leucophylla RED? If you have this information somewhere, simply direct me to the URL.

-Bob Ziemer-

Bob,

I was thinking that Travis Wyman from the CP Listserve said the parents were leucophylla x (purpurea x leucophylla). I remember seeing the willsii parentage also in the past. It is supposedly the same plant that Agristarts has named 'Dana's Delight', probably to avoid confusion.
Think they might know the parantage?

Regards,

Joe

I am not doubting that the S. leucophylla RED that PFT sells is, as they say, a cross between leucophylla and willisii. I was wondering what the willisii parent looked like -- and if it is indeed willisii. S. willisii {Hort.Veitch ex ?Gordon} is a very old hybrid that was described in 1894 and is [((purpurea*psittacina)*(purpurea*flava))*purpurea]. The plant that is being called willisii on a number of web sites clearly appears to have a lot of leucophylla influence, which I do not believe fits the published description of willisii.

that's to bad bob,
i sure hope that a couple of them servived the years.
for us ALL to enjoy .

eather that or someone could make a cross like that and see name it willsi #2

~Chomps~

S.x willisii tends to have a strange mix of genetics and the crossing of its parents has consistently led to a much more upright pitcher than might be imagined. It is only 1/8 flava, but it's appearance would make you believe it has a much stonger influence. It's white areoles have come from the psittacina parent, making it appear as if it has a leucophylla parent. PFT's cross back with leucophylla has resulted in a leucophylla lookalike, but with the red colouration of willisii.

Let's put this where it belongs...
smile.gif

leucoxwillisii.jpg

I just found this pictures of leucophylla x willsii or leucophylla 'red'. Just thought some people might like it.

-Ryan

Back