What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla flowers

I don't think they are 'Tarnok' at least not all of them

1, 4, 6 and maybe 5 All have what look like partial umbrella styles, 'Tarnok' lacks that feature

1 4, 5, 6 also all have a distinctly obvious sepals and petals, 'Tarnok' has something that looks almost midway between the two with little to no differentiation over all

3 has some type of anther growth, a trait abolished in the 'Tarnok' mutant

2 looks to be all true petals (see above)

7 I believe is the double petal mutant that I have heard is floating around

Yes. But, there seems to be quite a bit of variability in these flowers, of which the 'Tarnok' flower type may be one.

Very interesting. Of around 80 flowers I had this year, I noticed a few peculiarities. Whether they were/are genetic or environmental I really don't know. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. I had an oreophila that never opened, and it looked like everything was fused on the bottom. I also had a excellens x readii in which the style was "inside-out". What I mean is, if you think of it as an umbrella, imagine what the umbrella would look like if you opened it up during a hurricane. That's kind of how the style looked, all swept downward. I think it happened during development, because the developing flowerbud was distinctly oval-shaped.

Back