What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.leucophylla Dormancy

Hello i have a S.leucophylla that i got and its about 9 inches tall and i am putting it into dormancy but am wondering about if it can take the weather here in philadelphia its about zone 6b-7 If anyone leaves theres outside all year in the state of PA let me Know. Or if you just happen to know if you live farther north.

If you give it basic protection from drying winter winds like you guys get, it should be fine

So Mike, are you saying that putting it in the garage(or shed), even with the very cold temps would probably suffice?

Regards,

Joe

You could cover it with a cold frame or similar..

A refidgerator would work, but can you imagine how quickly it would fill up, lol?
If I had the room, a would make a frame in the garage and put a heater in it to keep the temps from getting too fridgid.

regards,

Joe

I keep my S. leucophyllas outdoors in CT. I sink the pots into the ground in a sheltered spot, with ~1" of the pot above the ground. The spot I put them has an open fence on the west and a corner of the garage to the north. I cover the plants with 1 ft or more of oak leaves piled on top.

Last year we had lots of snow and, although I removed most, I discovered melting snow was refreezing in the leaves. I lost a pot of terrestrial orchids and almost lost my S. minor and some Cyps due to the suffocating mass of ice. So this year I made a lean-to of wooden trellis covered with a light colored landscape fabric to keep the snow off. I wouldn't do this much for a couple plants, but it's worth it for the number of plants I keep there.

my leuc's are fine here in n. va and we have had about 15" of snow. They are outside, with only a bit of mulch on them, I used oak leaves and pine needles. They are still growing too, I think that all of them will be ok...

Back