What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava Copper Blush

Last June I bought a S. flava called the "Copper Blush" at a local CP nursery.  The form/variety of this plant originates from the South Santee River Pine Barrens, in South Carolina.  I guess there is a protected bog down there where this variety occurs in the wild.  I don't have a picture of it; it's still pretty young and in dormancy.  The plant can be described as having a coppery lid and pitcher.  Very similar to the "Coppertop", but in this case the color extends further down the pitcher to the base.

Anyone heard of this variety before?

-Homer

Yah, I think Schell breifly touches on it.

The 'Copper Blush', 'Copper Top' (which I have), and other 'Copper' names are forms of Sarracenia flava var. cupurea.  The naming of the forms doesn't seem entirely consistent, but my Copper Top and most photos I've seen of others have only a copper colored lid.  And the color fades with pitcher age.

Rowan Begg has a similar plant:

S.Flava_Bronze_Tube3.JPG

Such a plant could be due to some rubricorpora or atropurpurea genes.

It is totally normal for var.cuprea in someplants for the colour to go down the tube.

Thank you for your replies.
smile.gif

-Homer

Back