What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. dixie lace

Hey all,
It's May and soon it's gonna be June
smile.gif
and my Dixie Lace is pitcherless.
sad.gif
It only has phyllia leaves and that's it. What seems to be the problem? Thanks.

When did you purchase the plant? When did you plant it? It could still be going through a type of shock. I have had new plants that didn't produce a single pitcher for a season because of shock, and then did very well the next year.

My guess is your plant is going through some sort of shock right now. Be patient, and later this season or next year it will probably do just fine.

Eric,

What media do you have it in and how wet are you keeping it? Also, what are your light levels?

Media: 50/50 Peat Moss & Spaghnum
Moisture: Very Wet
Light: I keep the plant outside so the light levels vary.

My plants are slow to pitcher this year but then again we've had like NO sun for a month or more.  All its done is rain, rain, rain.  40 days and 40 nights....  I'm ready for the ark to float by any minute and I am covered in algae and mold.  blek!  How strange to go from "exceptional drought" and NO rain at all...to raining ALL the time. And I haven't complained about one drop ('til last week when I was on vacation to work in my yard and gardens.....then I complained a little bit).  
confused.gif
 Maybe Mother Nature is hitting menopause and is having some hormonal imbalances.  
smile.gif

None of my outdoor plants are doing that great.  Not BAD, but slow to grow.  They need a dose of some good strong sun...more than just an hour to two here and there.  So perhaps your Dixie needs more sun? My Dixie has not produced pitchers yet either...as of the moment, the only one with good strong tall pitchers is the beautiful flava. Others have smaller pitchers on the way. But I think sun will help them...when the floodgates finally close up.

Suzanne

Eric,

Okay, the media sounds fine. Define "Very Wet" for me. Tray? If so how deep is the water? Do you let it dry between fillings?

I don't think your plant is shocked because mine from the same division are doing well. FWIW here is what I am doing and my plants are going strong:

8" pot (I like to give them LOTS of room) with a media of LFS and about 15% peat:sand mixed in. I only top water every few days when ever the media fells just damp. The plant is on my patio and, like Suzanne, it has been raining for the better part of 4 weeks but I am still getting good growth and even had 2 flowers (which are now ripening seeds I hope.)

The Dixie Lace is in a tray system and since it is outside with the rain and all..the tray is always filled up with water. The water level is about 1.5 in. What is meant by very wet is that when you take a handful of peat moss and squeeze it with your hand, water literally will come out thus forming a soil ball.

Back