What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.alata seedlings

this is a first for me.....................well i have germinated sarra seed before...................but in late september last year i SELF! pollenated my S .alata "Red Throat" and in febuary i got the seed of the plant
biggrin.gif
and i only planted the seed a week ago and there already germinating so far iv got 9

matti

What is the matter?
confused.gif

Cole

Tell me about the technique you used to get them to flower
and give seeds at that time of the year. You seem to be a
very experienced grower, tell me more, I'm eager to learn
from you.

Frederick

ok fedrick im not a very good speller..........ok i think you know what a Sarracenia is do you?
well there are 8 diffrent types of "Sarracenia" in the us but the us is only the only place where they grow the 8 speices are
S.alata
S. purpurea
S ruba
S. minor
S. oreophylla
S. leucophylla
S. flava
S. psittacenia

now if your plant is meture you should be able to buy one from the pft thats the place that pays for this web paige and it will send up an umbrella like flower in a little bud that won't open for about a week when it dose open the flower has pretty petals and in bettween the pettals should 8 depending on how much there realy is any way it should have a gap down the middle now if you wont to get seed and pollenate it take(tear the pettals jently of) and inside should be these little yellow hanging things (anteres) and below should be pollen but if theres not you poke the antheres around a bit till some pollen falls out then you get the pollen on your finger and that thing in bettween the petals on the side of the pollen there should be a pointy pretuding point out of the thing in the middle thats where u put the pollen on keep on doing this untill theres no pollen left (once a day) then 5 mounths later the pod should go brown and u should see the seed poking out and then u break apart the pod (where the antherays(stigma)use to be)and then wet a paper towl and put the seed in it then flod it up put it in the fridge for 6 weeks then you get a plactic chinease container or some thing with a lid on it put some peat moss in it and sow the seed on the surface put it about 1 foot below a fluresent light and keep wetting the seed (with a spray bottle NO! fertilizer) but don't drown the seed and in about 6 weeks the seed should start germinating (sprouting) but myn took 1 week cos i had it on Sphagnum moss
smile.gif

sad.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

confused.gif

wow.gif

matti

im sure Fredrick know what sarracenias are and the 8 species.
wink.gif
and you dont have to get angry about knowone replying.

Mike

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (matti lord of the pings @ April 09 2003,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok fedrick im not a very good speller..........ok i think you know what a sarracenia is do you?
well there are 8 diffrent types of "sarracenia" in the us but the us is only the only place where they grow the 8 speices are
s.alata
s.purpurea
s.ruba
s.minor
s.oreophylla
s.leucophylla
s.flava
s.psittacenia[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Don't forget the subspecies!
wow.gif
there are around 500 subspecies, cultivars, and hybrids you left out!
wow.gif

Sarracenia purpurea
ssp. purpurea
ssp. venosa
ssp. venosa var. burkei
Sarracenia flava
"Typical form"
"Veined form"
"Coppertop"
"All Green form"
"Red Tube form"
"All red form"
Sarracenia rubra
ssp. rubra
ssp. jonesii
ssp. gulfensis
ssp. alabamensis
ssp. wherry
Sarracenia alata
Sarracenia leucophylla
Sarracenia oreophylla
Sarracenia minor
Sarracenia psittacina
I'm sure there are more subspecies and varietys than listed. There are alot, around 500, cultivars and hybrids.
biggrin.gif

Frederick,

Since Matti is in Australia, that time of the year would be the warm to hot weather time for him, unless I am mistaken. Therefore, it would be logical for his Sarracenia to flower and set seed.
Is that what you were getting at, when asking how he did that at that time of the year?

Regards,

Joe

Matti, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Joe, yes indeed, I totally overlooked Australia. I thought
he was growing them in a terrarium, which made me curious. I
tried to synchronise flowers from different species - that
flower early and late - but growth in a terrarium gets very
spindly. Flowers of terrarium-grown Sarrs aren't generally the
kind you show to friends
smile.gif

Well, this year I'm going to put lots of pollen in the freezer
using several techniques. In my last year's attempt the pollen
started germinating pollen tubes inside the freezer. People
have informed me that the cause was high humidity ... Any
tips or advice is wellcome, as allways.