What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alabamensis

I purchased this plant as a 1" seedling in Oct 2001 from UC Davis labeled as S. alabamensis AL-002. I also received 2 other plants in last the ICPS distribution program. I know there are many variations in each of the species and ssp., but this plant sticks out as questionable. I wanted to get a consensus from the group. What do you think?

salabam1.jpg

salabam2.jpg

salabam3.jpg

salabam4.jpg

salabam5.jpg

salabam6.jpg

salabam7.jpg

Wotta Lucky Dawg!!!!!! The alabamensis has a red form that is not seen in cultivation very often. Looks like your seedling might be a red.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 15 2005,1:14)]Wotta Lucky Dawg!!!!!! The alabamensis has a red form that is not seen in cultivation very often. Looks like your seedling might be a red.
hmm never heard of the red form, I'm sure its gotta be rare!!!!

I dont know guys, I have an alabamensis(the true alabamensis) and it doesnt look like it, though its similar.
Looks more like ssp. wherri to me.

It is alabamensis, but I can see why Starman thought it could be wherryi. Good observation, Starman!

Hey Folks,

This is S. alabamensis alright. We got all sorts of really pretty color variations in the seedlings, and I'm glad to see yours is maintaining the color. It is well within the variation of some of the plants that came up. If you look at the colorful seedlings that were visible in the various CPN articles about the program, you'll see the great colors the plant shows.

Remember, by the way, that those S. alabamensis seeds that were used in the ICPS distribution program came from pure stands of S. alabamensis---no other species were at the sites, so there was no chance for hybridization with something else.

Later!

Barry

hey I couldn't help but ask did you say you purchased them? I thought you werent aloud to purchase them, maybe You're aloud to within the state?

Kirk, The ICPS got special permission to do the program. So yes, they charged. When we get all the ESA species we can, legally, they will be available free. You just pay the freight. AL001, AL002, and AL003. Barry, thanks for your input.

CITES and the ESA are frequently confused and unfortunately misunderstood. The "I" in CITES refers to International regarding commerse between countries. The ESA on the other hand prohibits the sale or trade of endangered species across state lines, although you may give them away, ie "FREE", plants assuming you receive no compensation aside from perhaps shipping charges to someone in another state. The laws however allow the buying of selling of alabamensis, jonesii, and oreophila within state lines.

The charge was for shipping I believe.

hmm thanks for your input, you don't know how lucky you are to live in california where there are so many cp growers

Back