What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule of Thumb for pot size?

I'm curious as to if there's a general rule of thumb guide as to what size pot to put nepenthes in?

Such as 3-6" plants in 3" pot, 10"-14" plants 10" pot, etc.

Maybe I'm just worrying way too much about this!
biggrin.gif

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Well, i guess if the pot looks rite,then it should be.
biggrin.gif

I personally think the bigger the pot the better. I like to put a 4" plant in a 10inch pot cos to me it looks good and gives the plant ample room to spread and grow but I hear it may be bad for the plant.
Perhaps it's just paranoia on my part!
biggrin.gif

Just don't wanna kill these rather expensive seedlings I got!

I also like to put neps in big pots whenever possible. However, sometimes I end up using small ones because I run out of potting mix. DOH!!! I preffer hanging baskets to pots though, since they help to aerate the soil and because they look cooler.

Joel

I have mine in an 8 inch pot and its doing well. I think pot size does matter...just your preference. I perfer bigger pots so I do not end up changing pots further down the road.

travis

I prefer smaller pots for a number of reasons.

They dry out faster so reduce the risk of root rot.
I can fit many more pots in the same sized area! hehe
They take less potting mix.. ie less cost to pot.
The pots are cheaper.

Conversely you have to watch the moisture more and during the summer they might need watering every day.

I disagree that big pots will save you stress and repotting for a long period of time except in cases where the potting mix will last 3+ years without any noticable problem of breakdown. Most mixxes will not last that long without breaking down and further causing problems with root rot. My Nepenthes also do not get 100% pure water so the risk of salt buildup increases with time. I also feel that careful repotting to either give the plant fresh medium or to increase the pot size as the plant grows will not cause much stress and set back on a healthy plant.

As for rule of thumb... hmm hard to say since some Nepenthes have a larger root system naturally. For plants that are an 1.5 inches (3cm) or smaller they get put into the 1 5/8 inch plug flat. Plants that are larger than that but smaller than 5inches get put into 2 1/2 inch deep pots. Next size up is the 3 1/2 inch deep pot and then the 1 quart round (4 1/2 inch diameter).
Tony

Thanks folks!
I guess there's as many rhymes and reasons for pot size as there are Nep keepers. Since mine are already "home" I'll just be more vigillant about overwatering (It's killing me not to water them but I can feel the top of the mix is still plenty damp and I can pinch water from it between my fingers. I might try my next nep order in smaller pots just to compare.

Off to water the sundews...!
biggrin.gif

Back