What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal red & akai ryu

I've heard that Royal Red (or was it Akai Ryu?) could not produce seeds, and could not be hybridized, and the only method for propagation was through cuttings.

Anyone know if this is true? And why? Thanks.
biggrin.gif

I think you might have a couple of things confused. I am not aware that either Royal Red or Akai Ryu are sterile. If so, please correct me.

I think what you are referreng to is that cultivars should only be reproduced asexually to maintain the identical characteristics of that cultivar. Reproducing the cultivar sexually (seed), even with self-fertilization, will produce offspring that are not genetically identical to the parent and hence may not have exactly the same desired characteristics of the parent cultivar. Calling a seedling offspring of 'Royal Red' the same name, although it looks similar, simply confuses the nomenclature and the pedigree of that cultivar.

I currently have 23 seeds from Drosera muscipula "Akai Ryu" with more on the way. I will let everyone know if the seed germinates.

I wonder what I was thinking of then...whatever the VFT was came from Atlanta and was red in coloration. Perhaps it had only been a rumor that I heard, and had no truth to it what so ever.

<shrug>

Thanks for setting me right
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GiantSchnauzer @ April 15 2003,08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder what I was thinking of then...whatever the VFT was came from Atlanta and was red in coloration.  Perhaps it had only been a rumor that I heard, and had no truth to it what so ever.  

<shrug>

Thanks for setting me right  
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Red Dragons are the only varient that officially "breeds true"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Red Dragons are the only varient that officially "breeds true"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean by that Darcie? All red VFTs will produce offspring ranging from mostly normal VFTs, a few reddish plants and maybe a couple of all red ones.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alvin Meister @ April 16 2003,05:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Red Dragons are the only varient that officially "breeds true"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean by that Darcie? All red VFTs will produce offspring ranging from mostly normal VFTs, a few reddish plants and maybe a couple of all red ones.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, Red Dragon's aren't a single clone, they are a breed.  They also happen to be the only all red varient to be registerd as such. AKA, if your talking official varients, this is the only one whose discription inclueds reproduction via seed.

Also, remember most red clone varients are half red dragon. Thats why they produce a certain % of other colorings. Of corse, the red dragon pays dearly for it's pure bred status, the are not very robust hence the hybred varrients that where made later on.

Back