What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"round terrarium" on pft

Hi everybody. I am thinking of getting a "round terrarium" on pft. (the ten dollar one) Is it big enough to fit a 7 inch nepenthes tobaica? if not, how big is it?
alien.gif

You should contact the PFT folks on the size of the globe.

As far as the globe goes (no matter how big it is) it won't be a permanent home to your Nepenthes. Nepenthes are very large plants even though they grow slowly they do grow and even the smallest species will outgrow any globe style terrarium relatively quickly.

I would not bother with anything less than a 55 gallon aquarium for growing nepenthes. You can easily mount four 40 watt tubes over a 55 gallon aquarium and this is about the minimum of light which you will want to grow your plant with.

In my experience N. tobaica is a difficult and slow species even in good conditions. If I'd have gotten this plant as a beginner I'd probably have quit Nepenthes!

It isn't that big. I would advise you to just buy a ten gallon aquarium because it is cheaper without shipping.

Uh-oh. I am a beginner with nepenthes and this is my first nep. I'm thinking of using a 20 gallon tank, with some other cps in it, too.
alien.gif

I grow neps outside. If I was going to grow inside I think I would eventually spring for one really big tank. They can get HUGE!

But, for a smaller plant, a 20 gallon tank might work for a couple years. No rush, shop around.

I like to grow butterworts and sundews in the terrariums from pft. One is by a sunny window in the Bowflex room. The other is in the kitchen, also by a sunny window.

Back