What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roridula dentata

Does anyone know where I could find roridula? Is there anywhere that sells them? Or does someone have some?

Thanks,
Craig

what contidions do they grow in, anyway?

Roridula are wonderful plants. I can relate to your desire for one: Roridula are fantastic plants, very beautiful. They are also nearly impossible to cultivate without special greenhouse conditions, and are seldom found in collections for this reason. To be at their best they need the presence of a symbiotic insect which must be cultivated along with the plant. They are rather large, and not suited to either home or terrarium culture. Also seed is rare and difficult to germinate. I don't think they are shippable, and must be raised from seed. Seed is occasionally offered by Silverhill Seeds, but expect a long wait for your order to come.

If you live in California or anywhere with a mediterranean climate, chances are, you might be able to cultivate this plant outdoors year-round as they appreciate cool temperatures at night year-round. These plants can die in a matter of hours in hot and humid conditions with little air movement. R.dentata grows inland in S.Africa where temperatures are hot during the day in the summer. R.gorgonias is found near the coast and appreciates cooler temperatures and higher humidity than dentata.
Silverhill Seeds offered dentata seeds a couple of years ago, but hasn't offered seeds in recent years because a fire swept the area where the dentata grew. It might be a while before seeds can be collected.
Seeds of R.dentata and gorgonias are difficult to find, and in the case of dentata, the seeds can be very difficult to germinate. I would treat the seeds of dentata like tuberous Drosera or Protea in order to replicate the natural conditions of its habitat. This means sowing the seeds on a pot during a hot and dry summer and wait till the cooler conditions of winter before watering. R.gorgonias is much easier to germinate. Sow the seeds during the winter when conditions are cool and they should germinate within a couple of weeks.
As for shipping plants, it might be possible if the plants are seedlings. Last winter, a couple of my gorgonias seedlings were uprooted after heavy rains. I repotted them and they grew fine.
The symbiotic insects are interesting, but impossible to find in the U.S. and are even more difficult to raise than the plant from comments by another grower. These insects are highly sensitive to insecticides.
I grow both species and they are very slow growing under my conditions, although I have heard of gorgonias flowering in a year from seed.

I have some R. gorgonias seeds left if you intersted
Arie

Really? I would love some! Do you want to trade for them, or are you giving them away? And are there any major differences in the cultivation of gorgonias and dentata? And CP2K, what are your conditions for your plants? I want a method that I know has worked!

Thanks,
Craig

R. gorgonias are easy to germinate and Roridula dentata are quite hard to germinate (need smoke treatment od G3).
I would like to trade so PM me if you had something to offer.
Arie

Back