What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting in water

I did my first cutting about a month ago, off my N. Ventrata. I had four pieces, two I put in the usually medium I use, and the other two in a boiled clean jar of distilled water. The ones in the jar have growing nodes now and a couple cm long roots each. So my question is when do I transplant them to soil, and is there any special method. I got the idea from TSG, but there is only two sentences on how to.

Thanks,
Chris

(If a picture helps I could take one easily.)

One of the advantages to rooting in water is that you may get more roots faster.  The disadvantage is that the water roots have a different morphology than roots that formed in a potting mix.

I've rooted in water before with a few nep species and simply put them in straight LFS (live LFS seemed to work best, though new zealand LFS is great too) that was kept constantly moist. The cuttings survived.

It all depends on the nep species....some have cuttings that root easy and others do not.  Ventrata cuttings seem to be tough.

EDIT: Let me be more precise.....by "tough" I mean that ventrata cuttings are hardy

Trainspotting,

I root in water regularly. When the base splits and about 3-4 rootlets appear is when I transplant into sphagnum moss. I don't let the rootlets get too long because they can break off. I also try to put the cutting at a 45 degree angle in the moss and lean it against the pot a little. I usually use a small pot of moss until the cutting gets going. Then I pot up to a bigger pot without disturbing the roots at all. Hope that helps. I have a link on my site about this in taking cuttings.

Nepenthes Around the House

Joel

Thanks for all the advice, I have very little live sphagnum, but I will try poting one up in my dried moss(rehydrated) today. I'll scrounge for as much live moss I can get and use that for the other one.

Thanks again,
Chris

Back