What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

root canal VS getting teeth pulled which do you prefer?

I chose getting two teeth pulled today since I can't really afford "dental work", extractions are cheap one time events and then you're done with it. I hadn't had teeth pulled since I was 8 - when my baby teeth wouldn't loosen or fall out and the new ones where coming in regardless.

The dentist really had to work at it to get the one out which broke last night at my job and kept me from sleeping by setting off the nerve of another bad tooth. I thought he might actually flip me outta the chair trying to get it. He eventually busted it in half and had to drill the roots out. The other one pretty much came right out after about a gallon of novicane injections, I think about 6 injections in just the one area! My face has finally unswelled to the point I can see to type. I still ache but nowhere near like I felt after I left the office. I figured I'd pass out at Walmart pharmacy waiting for them to verify my crummy insurance and give me my drugs. They told me "20 mins" but it took an hour.

Anyway, I've never had a root canal does it hurt as much as getting them pulled?

Share with me your dental horror stories! :-D

Better than getting your wisdom teeth pulled out. I know some mature guys who kept crying.. and when they got to their car, they just sat there, crying for atleast an hour, till their parents called and asked "where the hell are you?"

A dentist told me I had 9 cavities. I was very skeptical but let him fill 7 of them. I get home and he had pulled out a bunch of my old fillings and put in really cheap "ceramic" composite material without my consent. A few of the teeth he didn't put enough material back in and another dentist told me the 2 "cavities" he didn't fill weren't cavities anyway.

3 years later one of the fillings had completely dissolved. I tried to call him to tell him how much I hated him but he had gone out of business!

I let my "wisdom" teeth rot out over the course of several years, which sparked all my other tooth decay. So I'm not sure what's really better? I moaned at walmart for a good long time today after leaving his office - I won't lie! It hurt like hell after getting the "5th and 7th" adult teeth yanked today but at least it's over once I heal up. I wish I'd have done that to the wisdom teeth but I didn't have any insurance at all then.

Sorry about all your tooth troubles, I feel for you!

I let my "wisdom" teeth rot out over the course of several years, which sparked all my other tooth decay. So I'm not sure what's really better? I moaned at walmart for a good long time today after leaving his office - I won't lie! It hurt like hell after getting the "5th and 7th" adult teeth yanked today but at least it's over once I heal up. I wish I'd have done that to the wisdom teeth but I didn't have any insurance at all then.

had what was left of the first molar on my upper left removed a couple years ago.......it had shattered 2 years before that(i have no pain nerves in my teeth....for me having an exposed nerve just means being careful with hot and cold food, air hitting it doesnt hurt the way it does most)......IIRC less than a third of the top of the tooth was left and he had fun trying to get it out.....lots of pressure and the Novocain shots hurt like a SOB but once the tooth was out and the injection sites settled down i was fine......havent had a root canal yet....last molar on the lower left, not counting the wisdom tooth, could use one as its nerve is exposed now......may get around to getting it done one of these days......but as i said i dont have pain nerves in my teeth so i dont have the constant reminder that i should get it done.....

Better than getting your wisdom teeth pulled out. I know some mature guys who kept crying.. and when they got to their car, they just sat there, crying for atleast an hour, till their parents called and asked "where the hell are you?"

Hehehe, I have great teeth genes. My wisdom teeth won't be an issue, and I've only ever had one tiny cavity that didn't even require localized anesthesia.

Jason

I never had cavity one either due to my being on some sorta super formula as a baby making my teeth & bones extremely hard & tight. I had it easy until I got my wisdom teeth about 21/22. Once one of them got a cavity it inspired all the rest... the 20 years of Mt. Dew drinking didn't help either! :D

Then you know some real dummies. :-\ You don't drive after general anesthesia. And I don't know of anyone who's just had local for wisdom teeth. Regardless: After surgery, have someone available to pick yourself up.

Then you know some real dummies. :-\ You don't drive after general anesthesia. And I don't know of anyone who's just had local for wisdom teeth. Regardless: After surgery, have someone available to pick yourself up.

Yup, the doctor is actually NOT allowed to let your drive after the surgery. It's all planned out before hand as to who is going to drive you home. I'm had mine out and shadowed a maxilofacial surgeon; it's really not as bad as most people make it out to be. Within a week I was back to do doing everything the same, but the first day or two are pretty intense in terms of lack of mobility and chewing ability.
But to answer the question, I'd rather get root canal. With today's advancement the horror stories of yesterday aren't as common. Not that they dont happen, just that it's much simpler nowadays to get this procedure done that it use to be.

Back