What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Responsible sampling?

• Thread starter ENRWNC
  • Start date
I've been plotting out bog locations in my region with the intention of photo-documenting carnivorous plant populations (I don't have an end point for the info, but I won't be publicizing exact locations). As my interest in these plants has grown, so has my skill in propagation and this leads to my question: As long as I am careful to take leaf-pullings in a responsible manner from healthy plants, can this be done ethically? I know the argument of, "if everybody did it, the plants will all die", but where I live that just isn't a likelihood. Honestly, the possibility that I'll even locate any plants is slim, but I want to think-out the situation.

When you're talking about property that isn't your own, legalities can be at least as important as ethics. It isn't very ethical to violate the property rights of others. At the very least, landowner permission is required to be ethical on private property, even in states where landowner permission doesn't automatically make such collection legal.

I'm in agreement with Subrosa on the rights of landowners and having permission before you do any sampling/collection. However, I do feel that this is a worthy project and is possibly a means to preserving unique genetic forms so I'd encourage you to jump through the hoops and get permission. You will likely have to prove that your actions would be a benefit, or at least that you will not do any harm.

When you're talking about property that isn't your own, legalities can be at least as important as ethics. It isn't very ethical to violate the property rights of others. At the very least, landowner permission is required to be ethical on private property, even in states where landowner permission doesn't automatically make such collection legal.
When I say "Responsible", I mean it to the full extent or I wouldn't be asking the question in this forum. I would not trespass on anyone's land. Neither would I sample plant tissues on public land without consulting managing authorities. I'm either going to do this right, or not at all (but I'll still photo document anything found).

I'm in agreement with Subrosa on the rights of landowners and having permission before you do any sampling/collection. However, I do feel that this is a worthy project and is possibly a means to preserving unique genetic forms so I'd encourage you to jump through the hoops and get permission. You will likely have to prove that your actions would be a benefit, or at least that you will not do any harm.
Thank you. I'm in Western North Carolina so people's relationship with carnivorous plants is already a very touchy subject. I'm already reaching out to academics and preservationists to make sure this is done correctly.

It never was CPs, as far as I can recall, but back in the days when I'd collect some seeds now and then, I left more than I took and spread a lot in promising looking places, hoping to increase their numbers. I hope I helped them.

Back