What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respectfully requesting help from uk/europe member

Bare with me while i explain my post, there is a product manufactured by a european country called a tracer glowring. Due to importation laws ( strictly business importation law) i am unable to purchase one overseas and have it sent over here. However contacting my local state legislative they told me that i could have someone personally buy it for me and mail it to me as long as it was not packaged as a commercial sales. So my favor would be to ask if anyone would possibly purchase a few like say 2 and allow me to pay for them and have them sent to me as a gift. Its nothing illegal, you can read all about the glow rings and why there restricted using google.they do sell them here but its a rare find and expensive. i basically told my chemisty teacher about them and he has never heard of them, so its my duty to show him :0 awsome teacher he is. any ways please contact me if you dont mind helping. here is some links to what im talking about

http://www.paramountzone.com/glow_rings.htm

http://www.gadgetstuff.com/gifts-gadgets/Glowring-Neon--Blue.asp

http://www.gadgets.co.uk/glowring-x2-new.html

thanks
jeremiah

Hi, from what I read it doesn't matter if you are a company or a individual. The reason these are not in the USA is because of laws governing the use of radioactive materials here. If your goal is to show your teacher this item, print out some details. I'd hate to be the one caught bringing in radioactive materials into the USA that's for darn sure.
Andrew

I wouldn't like to do that either. Perhaps I you send something like that to the states, next time you want to travel there you will find yourself on a "no-fly" list!

Jan

P.S. Even Senator Ted Kennedy is on that list...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin....1O1.DTL

wow those are cool! i want one
smile_m_32.gif

i dont see the big deal, it's just a keyring. i dont see why it should be illegal.

Because it contains radioactive tritium gas.

woah it's radioactive? i thought the only radioactive gas was Radon.

dude, dont get near me with one of those things!

Tritium is hydrogenium with 2 extra neutrons.

Dude I want a radioactive key chain. I don't see what the big deal would be as I am sure the radiation emitted by the keychain is not that much greater then the radiation we are bombarded by everyday from the sun, microwaves, and cell phones. Hmmm also I do have a nasty habit of losing my keys

Microwaves and cell phones are not radioactive. The emit radiation, but in other (not dangerous) wave lengths. If you say it so you should add radio stations, gravitation earthquakes and so on.

Those new cell phones are worse than this keychain...

You're not going to get cancer from this thing, and its not gonna make your ears and nose twist like an orc... Just dont break the bulb!!! Lord be with you then
smile_m_32.gif

Spec you are right. But in my veiw you should keep well clear of this object.

And i think its not neat. WOuld you think a nuke keychane would be cool too?
_

Ahh thats just insane, The amount of radiaition is so slim, it wont affect you. I just wanted to say thanks everyone, i got a message from someone with a website (local) that sells them and got some on order. i also ordered me some uranium ore and some other neat toys to play with. All legal of coure, to that person who says they were not
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks again

Everyone

Jeremiah

Technically, everything made of atoms is radioactive.

So, even a cell phone that is turned off is radioactive.

Human beings are radioactive.

None should be of concern of going critical though.

Radioactively Yours,
Tweek

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 26 2004,8:39)]Spec you are right. But in my veiw you should keep well clear of this object.

And i think its not neat. WOuld you think a nuke keychane would be cool too?
_
To be prefectly honest I would probably be first in line for a nuclear keychain, It'd make a great conversation piece.

You sure about that tweek? to my understanding an atom thats radioactive is an atom that lacks a stable nucleus. out of the 3 kinds of radiation (alpha, beta, and gamma) i doubt we produce any of the 3.

That glowring isn't anything to worry alot about, if you guys have smoke detectors in your homes (which legally you have to have) you might want to know that smoke detectors contain americium-241 which emmits alpha radiation. It works by having alpha particles travel at high speed and knock electrons from molecules in the air. The ionized air completes a small electrical circuit inside the smoke detector. When smoke enters, it breaks the circuit created by the ionized air, and the alarm goes off. Don't feel like going near your smoke detector now do you? I think the "we fear that in which we don't understand" quote ifits well in this situation..

I'm not sure how many of us are saying we "fear" this item. But if the item is only available in another country and not for shipment here... Then I recomend that is followed. I guess this comes from being a person that follows the laws pretty closely.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All legal of coure, to that person who says they were not

Well congrats on that then! If you can find it at a legal site then do so. If you can't, then I don't recomend you use this site to ask people to do something that may be considered illegal.
Andrew

I didnt mean no harm in this post, i was just asking for assistance. I said there avilable in the usa just hard to find, like right after my order was processed. the company is out of stock again. I also found a guy from australia who will sell them to me. So my apologies for asking here. And to those who requested the web site, all replyed
smile.gif

your plant growing, radioactive, self glowing friend

jeremiah

glad you got what you were looking for, sorry no one on the forum helped though.

There is a little thing called the Private Messenger.

Back