What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rescued Ventrata

I picked up another rescue at a local Lowe's today. It's a ventrata that's been in a 4" cube for about two or three months. Other than VERY slowly acclimating it to sensible care... I'm not sure what to do for it.

Can anyone suggest anything to help keep it from taking that long dive into the Great Unknown since it's been essentially living in tupperwear, in a dark area, since winter?

And before anyone asks, it was essentially given to me for a song, so I said "yeah, I'll see if I can give it a good home".

I would put in a hanging basket, by the an eastern window sill and water it everyday. Get it used to the surroundings before possibly putting it outside

Right now I'm concerned with just getting it out of the cube alive. If anyone's ever gotten one out of a container like that (such as tissue culture) , I think that's what kinda job I'm looking at here.

Oh, okay, not a problem. Obviously, remove the plastic collar and prepare the new home beforehand. As best you can, remove the plant and media from the cube, as one unit. Saturate and keep covered for another couple days, and in indirect light. Then move closer to the light and open up by daytime and close by night for another couple days. After that, it should be able to be opned up 24/7 and be right at a window sill.

My attack plan is sort of like the Darlingtonia... slowly acclimate it to things like air and light... and after it's bounced back -then- move it. The smaller Ventrata (a spotted one, no less) is growing quite well in the little cube-base, as long as I water sparingly and mist once daily.

I'm just not sure if there's anything I can do... like keep it cooler, or warmer, or... tell it how pretty it is, and how I love it like it's my only plant.
smile_l_32.gif

I think I might be over-reacting to it's sadness... it'll probably bounce back with no problem... and like, begin eating the neighbour children. It -is- a ventrata, after all.

The neighbor's childen? Now are we talking pre-school age or pre-teen? For a plant that is recovering from a Lowes negelt, I would recommend pre-k, and slowly graduate to larger specimens. After all, you wouldn't want the plant to choke on its food!
smile_m_32.gif

It'll be fine. I was much meaner to the Judith Finn I got from lowes a while back. I just brought it home, repotted it and stuck it outside. After about a month it started growing and now it's my 2nd biggest plant.

I usually take Copcar's approach. When I get a new plant, even when it's one that's been neglected at Home Depot or Lowe's, I just stick the plant into its new surroundings right away. 99% of the time the plant adjusts just fine and ends up growing better because of it.

Well, aside from puckering up a bit, she's doing well. People said I shouldn't mist a Ventrata, but I mist the other plant daily, and it's done quite well... so misting I do.

My flatmates have consented to letting me put the Nepenthes (both ventratas) into hanging baskets in the kitchen window. Yay!

The poor, mistreated, Ventrata has now put out two big new leaves complete with tiny baby pitchers forming.

(sarcasm) Carnivorous plants are SO hard to take care of! (/sarcasm)

Back