What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rescued nep

Last July I found an unknown nep at a garden center that was in poor
condition. It was in clear-plastic cube and when I picked it up to
take a closer look, the lower part containg the plant fell to the floor
spattering spag. moss and peat all over my shoes. The plant wasn't very
happy about either. I offered the person-in-charge 50 cents for it but
he insisted on a dollar.
The pics. The top one is just after I had replanted the badly traumatized
nep. After a couple of months and a small amount of new growth, it started
deteriorating to the point where the last resort was to snip off what
little green there was and place it in live sphagnum. So I decided to
check the roots on the mother plant, and as I expected, there were none.
Put some root hormone and planted it in ls and now it has started to turn
green and is showing signs of new root growth.
The lower pic is of the results so far. The container is 1" (2.5cm) in
diameter.

babynep.jpg

Good work, good samaritan!
Cute! The little guy even has a baby pitcher.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

To small to guess what kind, though.

Thanks, schloaty. I like to take up for the underdog. Often, I look at horrible looking plants and wonder what if, just what if, I can get it to grow back to normal. I also point out to nursery managers how $$$$y the plants looks and make them an offer. Sometimes, they will go for it, somethines not. My patio is covered right now with VFT's that I got from various nurseries and queit a few of them I got for cheap!

Wow, thats great. I wonder what it will turn out to be!

I do the same thing, (make the managers of the nursery offers). I always get half decent plants from Lowes for like $1.50 each.
biggrin.gif

Darcie, I have a feeling that it is an N. ventricosa "red" because I have a few other neps that I bought at Loew's and they look just like my PFT vent. red. I have a couple of other neps that look somewhat like a truncata x somethingia hybrid. I'll have to snap a pic and ask one of the experts.

nahasapeemapetilon, (don't I love copy and paste)

biggrin.gif
I'm not necessarily cheap, but I see no reason to pay full price for plants that are in less than good shape. CP or not. So I try to pay what the plant is worth. Most cps' sold at nurseries will, when placed in the proper conditions, grow to be healthy plants, giving some time.
biggrin.gif

I bought a vft from Lowes that was very close to death. Within two months it was my second biggest vft with hugh traps. I've noticed that when you get a plant that has been growing in bad conditions it thrives when you give it what it needs. I guess it's almost like what don't kill it will only make it stronger.
By the way I talked lowes down to a dollar, but unlike alandallas I did it because I am cheap.
biggrin.gif

Here's a nep I found at Lowes about 6 months ago. This was after about 2 weeks. I'll post a current pic tomorrow.

N_unk_web.jpg

Edit: Oh, and I went to my local Lowes this past weekend and they had for sale CP's with NO live plants for only $8.95. I spoke to the manager about purchasing the few live plants they had and she said in her most bitchy voice "10% off... that's it!" Guess my response.
mad.gif

Man...I got to try that sometime.

I know what I would have said
mad.gif
. Can't stand rudeness. Anywho, I've never seen a nepenthes like that from Lowes. Of the two they usualy sell in the midwest, it's not a x Judith Finn (because of the leaves), or a ventricosa (because of the pitchers). It doesn't look like any of the usual two hybrids they sell here in the West either. Were do you live?

I bet it's like what they do with fish. They don't have to pay the supplier untill the plants sell. All dead plants get replaced for free so they don't care if they kill them >
sad.gif
I saved a betta fish from a place, and even though it was almost dead they made me pay full price (their other bettes where dead, shutter)

My best purchase was a Sarracenia purpurea, and two D. adelea for 25 cents each from Lowes. The S. purpurea was almost dead, but is slowly coming back. The two D. adelea are doing great! This was about 3 weeks ago.

Still looking for Nepenthes local. Got started on the forum because of 2 N. alata I bought at Meijer. Turns out they are highland and I am having problems getting them to pitcher again. Glad winter set in as I can put them in a cooler location.

I see alot of plants at my localnurderies but i've yet to see them carry neps and butterworts or cobra lilies . I've seen lots of dead plants and its not pretty , I've seen the plants so long , there was a venus flytrap that was at the store since i brought my first vft and they way i knew is that because there was a fern growing in it that came from another one . sometimes i'd just wanna kidnap those poor plants , oh , let me rephrase that , "plantnap" .the only bad thing I've done at nuresuries is take cuttings and water dried plants with the water from the fountain . the common death for cps at nurseries is no water . lets start a small poll , what plants do you see die the most in nurseries , cp's , cacti , others . my vote would be cps .

There is one nursery around here that consistently has an unknown nepenthes, Drosera capensis, D. binata, and VFTs. They don't give the VFTs dormancy, and don't let any of the plants sit in water - they pick up the entire pot and dunk it into a bucket of water a couple times a day. Of course, since they don't discount anything no matter how sick it is, it's cheaper to just buy healthy plants from petflytrap.

A note about some of the major home improvement/garden center stores: It probably varies, but most of them have some type of warranty on their plants. Ask about it before you buy.

Great looking specimen Dyflam. You must have got lucky and found it soon after they got their shipment in. Looks good and healthy to me. Got any idea of what kind it is?

I'm guessing something close to Judith Finn... looks similar to one that I have.

Post your recent pics of the plant know in it new stage.
biggrin.gif

Back