What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting

My VFT is growing lots of new traps and has far outgrown the little pot it came in. The traps are so packed together that they are eating each other and then rotting, but it just keeps growing. And now that it's summer, it's getting the red back on the traps.

I've bought some special compost for carnivorous plants, so I plan to just put it in a pot twice the size of it's current one filled with this.

The care sheet sticky thread in this forum said the roots are very sensitive and I might kill it, so really any advice?

repot it. jsut don't wipe off the current soil and it will be fine.

Well I crushed its flytraps and its roots quite a bit, so I hope it'll be alright.

How did you manage to do that?
confused.gif

Generally, if at all possible, try to remove a plant and its soil as one unit. Obviously, in this case, it's too late. It probably won't die, but it will probably go into shock and not not grow for awhile. BTW, we have all had our learning curve.
biggrin.gif

Hey Darwin -

After I repot, sometimes I put an upside clear cup or such over the plant for a week or two. It seems to help them recuperate. I keep the plants under lights or a bright shady location so they don't cook under the cup.

Also, I have found that VFTs appreciate 6 or 8 inch pots.

Good luck with it.

Bill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ May 15 2005,7:06)]How did you manage to do that?
confused.gif
It wouldn't come out of the pot! I gave the pot a good squeeze, and when it finally did, I held it by the plant so as not to damage the roots, and this made a lot of traps close. There was generally a lot of crushing going on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (WildBill @ May 16 2005,8:23)]Hey Darwin -

After I repot, sometimes I put an upside clear cup or such over the plant for a week or two. It seems to help them recuperate. I keep the plants under lights or a bright shady location so they don't cook under the cup.

Also, I have found that VFTs appreciate 6 or 8 inch pots.

Good luck with it.

Bill
Thanks Bill. But how exactly does the cup help?

My VFT certainly looks happier in its nice new pot - with a little encouragement from me, it has stretched out its traps and is starting to look less crowded already.

The cup traps humidity around the plant which slows down water loss by transpiration of the leaves. Damaged roots sometimes are not able to keep up with the transpiration rate of the leaves causing more stress on the plant.

Greetings,

When I first started growing, I read that VFTs are very sensitive to being transplanted. I have found that it isn't true. I recently transplanted about 10 VFTs and in all cases they continue growing as if nothing happened. It makes them more vigorous because it gets rid of the old, broken down, bacteria and mineral laden soil. When I transplant, I rinse of all the old soil. I place the plants outside in shade for a week, and then out in full sun. If I baby them, they become weak.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When I first started growing, I read that VFTs are very sensitive to being transplanted. I have found that it isn't true.

I have to agree with this. I have found that not only do my plants have no ill effects from transplanting, they actually prefer to be seperated out of the clumps that they form. I do try and be careful when seperating the individual root systems, but other than that its a pretty straightforward experience... pull em apart, plunk em in a pot and water.. I dont even bother to put them in shade or anything. Never lost a VFT yet to repotting.

Good luck
Steve

I have never lost a VFT by transplanting unless I was transplanting a declining plant already.  I've heard the best time is in early Spring when a little or no new growth has occurred; but I've done it many times at any time I see a need with no ill results.

Mix your medium and prewet it; slam it into the pot; use your finger to make a cone shape hole.  Pick any dead off the rhyzome and rinse with pure water, and stick it in the hole; pinch the medium around it and add some more until the white is just covered.  Water until soggy and stick it in plenty of light. Don't keep the medium soggy; let oxygen get in before rewatering. I've never covered; but suppose it wouldn't hurt is humidity is low where you are at for the reasons stated above; but be careful of rot.

I just planted 48 bare roots today; and the last stage was adding some Cleery 3336 to the water when they went in for insurance; and light; lots and lots of light.

Back