What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting question

When potting up plants---in the Spring---what do you guys do about the medium that are in the existing pots? I'll be increasing the pot size of my VFT and Sarr's; I'm considering placing fresh peat (mixed with perlite) at the bottom of the pots, then taking plant and all medium that is in the current pot and placing in the bigger pot, and fill in the edges with new. Does this make sense?

I see no reason to waste what was in the existing pots, I know it will decompose. Normally I would take used dirt from house plants and put in my compost bin, but hate to do that with peat and spaghnum, it is too expensive.

The other alternative is to remove all existing medium from the plant, and mix in with new to repot. Just figured the first method was less stress and less damage to the roots.

What do you guys do? Thanks Linda ö¿ö

i find no problem with taking existing soil and just placing new soil on bottom and rim. i do that all the time. I only change complete new soil if its all covered in green slime or is too old.

Yeah just leave the old soils on. I usually remove some to expose the roots alittle to the fresh medium. But if you are afraid of causing your plant root damage don't worry it will find it's way through to stretch it roots threw the new pot and soil. Remeber if you are afraid of causing your plant root damage don't do it my way. You are however less likely to cause it such damage by just taking your finger and tapping or rubbing it lightly against the root ball then loose soil will fall away exposing some roots but also some old soil is left to protect the other roots. Nep.G.

It depends on the age of the existing peat. If it's say more than 3 years oled then it will probably best to replace it. The peat loses acidity as it decomposes which is bad for CPs.
I find it's pretty hard to seriously shock a plant when repotting it - it will just grow slowly for about a week in my experience.

Thanks for all the great answers,

Alvin, these are plants I bought last summer, I did not pot them up then, so know they will need larger pots. I doubt they were in the pots for 3 years, so I should be in good shape.

N.G. , I know what you mean, tease the roots out a bit. I do that for other new plants I get and pot up. Thanks I'll remember to do that.

Take care,

Linda ö¿ö

I also use older media, if I feel the need to add new media, I simply mix it well with the old, producing a more hmmm... even micture, so that there are not pockets of 'difference' in the media...

<i>...I find it's pretty hard to seriously shock a plant when repotting it - it will just grow slowly for about a week in my experience. ..</i>

Oh, it depends on the spezies.

It's defintly NOT easy to repot Byblis liniflora, most pygmae Drosera, Drosophyllum lusitanicum(!) and Heliamphora (sometimes)

very true martin, repotting a drosophyllum would pretty much result in the death of the plant, so all of know, choose it's permenant home EARLY!

Speaking of repotting byblis liniflora...I have 5 seedlings. Four are growing in a straight line (where they germinated) only about 1/3 of an inch apart. Right now they are maybe a little over 1/4" tall...still very tiny. I hate to see them growing so close together because if they survive and grow...they will be all on top of each other. The fifth seedling is off a bit kinda near the edge of the pot. So...is it possible to move the seedlings apart without risking killing them or should I just leave the alone and let them grow into each other? I am so thrilled with these little plants I don't want to lose them. Even as small as they are they look like little sparkly trees. :)

I'd appreciate some guidance or tips from anyone having experience with sprouting/growing byblis.

Thanks!
P.S. ITS SNOWING HERE!!!! YAY!!!!! I just LOVE it! We have about 8" so far and still snowing...and its soooo beautiful! (And extra added bonus...they closed our office so I get to be home to enjoy it)!

I forgot to mention also don't repot D.Regia since it's roots are sensitive and you CAN repot but if you REALLY NEED TO do it EXTREMLY CARFULLY!!!!

Great Responses, Thanks so much everyone. My collection is two VFT's, two Sarrs, two D. Adela --gee, I think I've got Noah's Ark here :). I also have two pygmae but I was not planning on moving these.

I've stayed pretty basic with my collection so far. If they all get through this winter and into spring I'll expand my horizans then. Thanks again.

Linda ö¿ö

Back