What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting nepenthes

• Thread starter colinliew
  • Start date
For those of you who have purchased plants from Malesiana, have you subsequently repotted them? If so, when?

The sanguinea and truncata I bought from them in August are still in their old pots. My truncata is putting out progressively smaller leaves, and this seems to be contrary to other grower's experiences with truncata, so I was wondering if the root system was too constrained.

As for my sanguinea, it appears to be doing well, but large brown patches are appearing on some of the older leaves. I think it's just natural ageing and death, but I've never seen nep leaves brown like that before.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, my SPA rafflesiana has finally decided to start pitchering! Hooray!

i dont know about that, it has never happened to me before..

i have a question, do you give your nep raffesiana alot of light?how much?
thx

don't really need to repot unless the plant grows too big, in terms of diameter; root disturbances are rather bad; moreover the potting mix from Malesiana is very much suitable for the neps;
just make sure there's enough humidity and "unheated" bright light, then the neps will grow well.

Same batch and I repotted all of them 'cos I lost a rafflesiana and truncata to root rot after a week or two.

My albomarginata and reinwardtiana just started to pitcher, which is like 7-8 months later. My bicalcarata and alata are still not pitchering.

Be prepared that the plants go into transplanting shock.

Colin, I've not repotted my Neps. The Bical and Raff are growing very well and pitchering very well. The others don't seem to have grown a lot, just a few leaves and smaller pitchers.

If I were to repot by taking out the whole pot of LFS intact and popping that into a bigger pot, would that reduce the chances of transplant shock? That's what I intend to do cos the last time I repotted the SPA Raff, I ended up severing much of its root system, and till now, it hasn't pitchered!

wezx: All my neps currently receive sunlight at full blast from 8am - 2pm, after which they are mostly in the shade.

vistary: My humidity levels are fine, all my larger neps are doing well. The only problem could be sunlight is too intense for the small truncata and sanguinea, so I've tried to shade them a bit.

Cindy: I've been lucky, as I've avoided root rot so far. Just wondering what's up with my truncata. I've repotted neps with quite a high rate of success, so I'm not too worried.

eBeyonder: That's the best way of repotting, if the nep comes in LFS already. Chances of root damage or transplant shock are almost minimal if you do that. I made the same mistake when repotting my SPA nep, and it has apparently only just recovered.

Back