What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting goof.

I repotted a sanguinae, maxima, and ventricosa today. All the soil fell off the roots, and the ventricosa was separated from the two others next to it. I untangled the roots carefully, but I'm not sure how badly they where damaged. Are they going to be okay, or should I be worried.
-
In another note, how can I grow long fiber sphagnum faster? It's being a bit slow, though it just got new shoots.

N. sanguinea, maxima, and ventricosa are probably the most forgiving species there are. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sphagnum moss is by it's nature slow growing, and there's not much that can make it grow faster, at least in my experience.

Next time you might want to soak the plants in water while gently untangling the roots if you are going to do a complete transplant. It will help them recover faster.

Doesn't Maxsea 16-16-16 make sphagnum moss grow a little faster? Or is it just not harmful to it and yet beneficial to some CPs, I can't remember.

I try to avoid growing plants of any significant age together out of fear of the plant roots getting tangled.

The ventricosa came as a set of three. I put them in different pots do avoid them being tangled further. There was a small adult sized one, large immature size, and a small immature size. None older than two it looked like.

The ventricosa came as a set of three. I put them in different pots do avoid them being tangled further. There was a small adult sized one, large immature size, and a small immature size. None older than two it looked like.

Rather unfortunate, but oh well. If there has been root damage hopefully all that will happen is some stunted growth for a bit.

Rather unfortunate, but oh well. If there has been root damage hopefully all that will happen is some stunted growth for a bit.

After separation, they each had larger roots then the sanguinae or maxima did, so I think they should be fine.

Back