What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting Cephalotus

I purchased my cephalotus three years ago. That year I moved it into a larger pot that was 1 part peat to 2 parts sand/fine perlite. How often, if ever, do you repot these guys? Any tips?

-Jeremy

when they need it, every few years or so...

I wouldn't recommend ever repotting cephs, except to move them to a bigger pot and retaining the block of soil they're in.

Thanks for the response. I questioned whether it would benifit from being repotted due to the breakdown of the peat. I guess if it ain't broken, don't fix it
smilie4.gif

Hello, mine just recently was growing that discusting moss in it and choking out my ceph... So I decided to transplant it.
Before: in a 4" pot
fortrade.jpg

What i did is removed the Drosera plants, and shipped them away for a trade. I then "pealed" off the layer of that moss crap... While i was in there... Since i had multiple shoots of plants, i went ahead and dissconnected one of them.
Because of removing the layer of moss that had grown on the top... there was room to place some LFS. So I took a large pot (8" i think) filled it with wet LFS, then placed the whole 4" clump i had left in the middle of the new pot. and filled in the top under the ceph with LFS to hopefully keep the peat moss from growing again.
As of today, the main plant (and the one i seperated) both have tons of new pitchers comming out... I can't wait to see if the plant gets its size back that it has lost lately over being crowded with the crap moss...
here it is as of a week or so after transplanting:
P1010471.JPG

You can see all the new growth (little purple growth in the center) as a note, the plant on the lower right is the one i seperated. I'm thinking about moving it further from the main plant before it gets too many roots though...
Hope that helps in your decision.
smile.gif

Oh, one more thing... my mixture before was like 1 part peat 4 parts sand....
Andrew

Back